Democratic 2008 front-runners Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama said May 1 they will participate in a June debate in New Hampshire.
The two senators previously had opted not to attend because the forum was not one of the six debates sanctioned by the Democratic National Committee. But Mrs. Clinton, of New York, first announced she would take part in the June 3 debate, hosted by CNN, ABC affiliate WMUR-TV and the New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper. The Obama campaign soon after said the Illinois senator would attend as well, The Washington Times’ blog Fishwrap reported.
Mrs. Clinton is “excited to participate” in what is an “important part of the New Hampshire primary tradition,” said spokesman Mo Elleithee.
“We look forward to participating in the DNC’s schedule of six sanctioned debates that begins in July,” he said.
Mr. Obama, of Illinois, says the debate in the “home of the nation’s first primary is an opportunity too important to miss,” said his New Hampshire director, Matt Rodriguez.
“We had hoped that the DNC and the debate’s sponsors would agree to make this debate one of the DNC’s six sanctioned debates,” he said.