Grassley, Johnson seeking trade in email probe
coordinate with the Justice Department in order to secure an immunity deal.
Their offer raises the stakes for Mr. Pagliano and could create more peril for Mrs. Clinton, who has insisted she complied with all laws when operating the server.
But after days of refusing to apologize for setting up her own server, Mrs. Clinton reversed course Tuesday and told ABC News that she was “sorry.”
“In retrospect, as I look back at it now, even though it was allowed, I should have used two accounts — one for personal, one for work-related emails. That was a mistake. I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility,” Mrs. Clinton said in the TV interview.
Pressed to clarify whether she made a mistake in setting up a private email account and private server to conduct official business, Mrs. Clinton responded: “I did. I did.”
“As I said, it was allowed, and there was no hiding it. It was totally above board. Everybody in the government I communicated [with] — and that was a lot of people — knew I was using a personal email,” she said. “But I’m sorry that it has, you know, raised all of these questions. I do take responsibility for having made what is clearly not the best decision.”
Mrs. Clinton’s act of contrition comes as her campaign acknowledged that she must rework her image and try to regain her footing in the race. She’s lost ground in the polls, and a majority of voters say they don’t trust her, mostly due to the email controversy dogging her campaign.
While offering an apology, Mrs. Clinton continued to insist that the email arrangement and the way she used it was “allowed” by the State Department, as she did in interviews Friday with NBC News and Monday with The Associated Press.
Security experts have disputed Mrs. Clinton’s claim that she followed the law, saying that she handled hundreds of classified messages on the server.
Mrs. Clinton has maintained that none of the messages were secret at the time she sent or received them, and were only upgraded now that they are being released to the public. The New York Times reported Tuesday, however, that a new review by the inspector general for the intelligence community has concluded two messages did contain information that was top secret at the time.
The State Department contested that review, saying it was “premature.”
John Kirby, a department spokesman, said they are doing their own analysis and “it’s not uncommon or atypical for there to be this kind of give-and-take between agencies on something like this.”
The department, however, is reeling from the mess Mrs. Clinton left. It faces more than 30 open records lawsuits demanding the release of emails Mrs. Clinton and her top aides kept secret for years after they left government service.
Last week the Obama administration sought to halt most of those lawsuits, asking the federal court in Washington to appoint a single