Caroline Garden Club celebrates 60 years in 2017
DENTON — The Caroline County Garden Club recently was recognized for 60 years of service to the county by Ann Foss, incoming director of the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland.
The garden club was established in 1957 to study and share knowledge of gardening, foster the art of floral design, support projects that benefit Caroline County and encourage the conservation of the natural beauty of the United States.
Noteworthy projects have included maintaining the garden at the Hubbard-Comegys log cabin in Greensboro and the planning of the future gardens of the Preston Historical Society. In addition, the club works with clients of two local nursing homes through the garden therapy program, assisting residents in making their own floral designs.
Each December, the club prepares holiday decorations for the Caroline County Courthouse in Denton, the Caroline County Public Library in Denton and the Rural Life Museum for the “Lighting of the Green.” Members also provide holiday floral designs to adorn a historic home for the Caroline County Historical Society’s open house and fundraiser.
The club recently received a district garden club award for the “Bugs Rule Program,” which it presents during Greensboro Elementary School’s annual Earth Day celebration.
To commemorate this milestone anniversary, the club has donated a star magnolia tree to the county, which recently was planted on the courthouse grounds. Soon the tree will be marked by a plaque designating its significance.
The club meets at 10 a.m. the second Friday of each month, except July and August, on the second floor of the Caroline County Library in Denton.
For more information or to join, call Linda Moore at 443-786-3227.
Members of the Caroline County Garden Club are pictured at the site of the Caroline County Courthouse’s newly planted star magnolia tree.