Artistic Restoration The current resident of Hatchlands Park gave up medicine to focus on art and music.
THE CURRENT RESIDENT OF HATCHLANDS PARK GAVE UP MEDICINE TO FOCUS ON ART AND MUSIC.
William made his fortune working for the East India Company. His son, George, commissioned architect Joseph Bonomi to carry out alterations to the front of the house, the garden hall and staircase hall. They also created a new entrance to his specifications in 1797. George gave the garden designer, Humphry Repton, the job of landscaping the grounds.
A SCANDALOUS COMPROMISE
In 1885, George’s granddaughter, Beattie Sumner, gained notoriety when she was found in a compromising position with Charles Hoare, a married banking heir with five children. A court case and financial woes ensured the end of that relationship, but Beattie did eventually marry cricketer CB Fry and they became a celebrity couple of the day. The Sumner family however, had mounting debts, so in 1888 they sold Hatchlands Park to Lord Stuart Rendel.
Lord Rendel was the managing partner of an engineering firm. He had the house substantially remodeled, and in 1902 asked Sir Reginald Blomfield to create a new music room. Lord Rendel redecorated extensively, gilding and coloring the plasterwork and adding rococo decorative effects to the staircase hall. He formed a new entrance on the east front, knocked together Admiral Boscawen’s bedroom and dressing room to create a new dining room, and commissioned influential garden designer, Gertrude Jekyll, to design a new formal garden with a parterre.
Lord Rendel’s grandson, Harry Stuart Goodhart-rendel, inherited Hatchlands Park in 1913. Then in 1917, during WWI, part of the house served as an auxiliary hospital with 14 beds. They were registered for convalescent cases only, so the house was mainly used to care for recovering patients sent over from the nearby Guildford War Hospital.
Harry removed some of the fussy Edwardian decorations his grandfather introduced to the house and added two lodges, a stable block and a temple to the gardens. He gave Hatchlands Park to the National Trust in 1945, but stayed in residence there until 1959.