Ren­ters In­sur­ance for Col­lege Stu­dents A Smart Move

Walker County Messenger - - Front Page -

As the start of the col­lege school year be­gins, stu­dents who move out of the house or off cam­pus may want to con­sider pur­chas­ing ren­ters in­sur­ance.

Ac­cord­ing to Ge­or­gia In­sur­ance Com­mis­sioner Ralph Hud­gens, ren­ters in­sur­ance can cover the loss of com­put­ers, tablets, mu­si­cal in­stru­ments, jew­elry and much more in the event of theft, fire or some other un­fore­seen dis­as­ter.

“If your col­lege stu­dent is mov­ing away to school with ex­pen­sive com­put­ers or other valu­ables, buy­ing ren­ters in­sur­ance is a smart move,” Hud­gens said. “The land­lord may have in­sur­ance on his build­ing, but that won’t cover re­place­ment of a ten­ant’s pos­ses­sions.”

Com­mis­sioner Hud­gens of­fer answers to th­ese com­mon ques­tions about ren­ters in­sur­ance:

Q: What does ren­ters in­sur­ance cover?

A: The pos­ses­sions of any­one who rents a res­i­dence, whether it’s an apart­ment, house, man­u­fac­tured home or con­do­minium. Ren­ters in­sur­ance pro­tects per­sonal prop­erty, such as fur­ni­ture, elec­tron­ics, and cloth­ing. It also pro­vides li­a­bil­ity pro­tec­tion for the pol­i­cy­holder should some­one be in­jured or sus­tain dam­age to their prop­erty while vis­it­ing the pol­i­cy­holder’s res­i­dence.

Q: My neigh­bor ac­ci­den­tally started a fire that de­stroyed the en­tire apart­ment build­ing, in­clud­ing my unit. Will his in­sur­ance cover my per­sonal be­long­ings?

A: His li­a­bil­ity in­sur­ance may cover your be­long­ings, but only if it is de­ter­mined he was neg­li­gent in caus­ing the fire.

Q: Won’t the land­lord’s in­sur­ance cover my per­sonal be­long­ings?

A: In most cases, no. The land­lord’s in­sur­ance may cover you if you can prove li­a­bil­ity on the part of the land­lord.

Q: If the pipes in my apart­ment burst, through no fault of my own, wouldn’t the land­lord be re­spon­si­ble for re­plac­ing my be­long­ings?

A: Maybe. If the pipes burst as a re­sult of neg­li­gence on the part of the land­lord, the land­lord may be li­able. How­ever, neg­li­gence can be hard to prove.

Q: My room­mate has ren­ters in­sur­ance; won’t that cover all my be­long­ings as well?

A: No. The pol­icy only pro­tects the per­son named in the pol­icy or a rel­a­tive liv­ing with that per­son.

Com­mis­sioner Hud­gens sug­gests dis­cussing the needs of your stu­dent with an in­sur­ance agent who can tai­lor a ren­ters pol­icy to your in­di­vid­ual needs. Every­thing from prop­erty dam­age caused by fire, hail or smoke, to li­a­bil­ity suits brought by guests slip­ping on stairs or in the bath­room can be in­cluded in a pol­icy.

Con­sumers may get more in­for­ma­tion on ren­ters in­sur­ance by call­ing an in­sur­ance agent or by con­tact­ing the Ge­or­gia De­part­ment of In­sur­ance at 404-656-2070, or toll-free 1-800656-2298.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.