German soft pretzels
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
mustard for dipping (optional)
1. Stir and dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in salt, sugar, and 2 cups of flour.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. You may need to re-flour the surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
7. Cut dough into 3 oz pieces and roll into a ball.
8. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
9. Roll out dough into strings.
10. Pick up the dough string ends, make them meet in the middle, overlap them and twist.
11. Attach the ends to the dough in a pretzel shape.
12. Place pretzel on a baking sheet and allow to proof until pretzels doubles in thickness.
13. Whisk the eggs with water.
14. Brush egg wash on top of pretzel after they have proofed.
15. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
16. Put onto baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
17. Dip in prepared mustard if desired.
Have a go at making these pretzels for a fun snack, as an alternative to bread for dipping in soup or for your next Oktoberfest celebration!