Mark Your Calendar
• Kiwanis Club of Kailua-Kona meets at 5:30 p.m., at Makalei Golf Club, 72-3890 Hawaii Belt Road, Kailua-Kona, 808325-6625. Guest speaker Kami Bolster, Community Relations Director Regency at Hualalai. Info: Betty, firstname.lastname@example.org, 808-896-2958.
• American Legion Kona Post 20 and American Legion Auxiliary monthly meeting, at the Privateer’s Cove Restaurant located on Kaiwi Plaza at the corner of Luhia and Kaiwi Streets. All veterans are invited and welcome to attend. Socialization at 3:30 p.m., meeting at 4. Info: Post 20 Commander Jim Hussey, (808) 4644341 or (706) 589-0387.
• Kona Daifukuji Orchid Club presents Karen Kimmerle’s “Maxillarias for Hawaii Gardens” at 7 p.m., meeting starts with a potluck at the Daifukuji Soto Mission Hall on Highway 11 at mile marker 114. Kimmerle, co-owner of Sun Orchids in Hilo, will discuss the many Maxillaria species suitable for growing in Hawaii while sharing tips on their care, and will offer plants for sale. Info: 3288375, www.facebook.com/orchidsinparadise.
• Kealakehe Neighborhood Watch monthly meeting, 6:30 p.m. at the Kealakehe Intermediate School cafeteria. Dinner served at 6 p.m. Topics include formation of a junior neighborhood watch and placement of crosswalk flags. Info: Ardie Ikeda, 987-1664 or email@example.com.
• The Brain Injury Support group will meet from 6–8 p.m. at Hawaiian Rehab Services, mauka of the Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union on Hualalai Street. The speaker will be Jesse Houlding LMT, who will be discussing some of the research about treating traumatic brain injury and provide the basics of the ketogenic diet, which helps achieve the state of nutritional ketosis. Info: Hawaiian Rehab at 3290591 or Karen Klemme RN at 896-2962.
• The Kailua-Kona Library will be hosting Dena Sedar, Interpretive Specialist for Hawaii State Parks at 3 p.m. Anchialine pools are an incredible natural resource, and Hawaii Island has the highest concentration of them in the entire world. RSVP online at www. librarieshawaii.org. Info: 327-4327.
• “Kona Reef Ohana” free exhibit at KailuaKona Public Library. About 50 papier mache models of adult and juvenile fish, crafted by Jeffrey Hill, available during library hours through the end of October.
• West Hawaii Small Business Development Center workshop, “Introduction to QuickBooks,” 9-11: 30 a.m. at Hale Iako, 73-970 Makako Bay Drive, Kailua-Kona, on the NELHA (OTEC) campus. QuickBooks is one of the most popular small business bookkeeping software products. Registration is $20 at http://www.hisbdc.org or call 333-5000
• The Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Business Action Center Day, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm at the County of Hawaii, West Hawaii Civic Center, Department of Research & Development, second floor of Building C above the DMV. Walk-ins and appointments are welcome. For an appointment, call (808) 3234700. Primary business consultations, Hawaii state business registrations, General Excise Tax applications, Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEIN) and other business filings. Other industry/business information will also be available.
• Discover your purpose and learn how you can live it each and every day during a free workshop from 4-6 p.m. at KBXtreme, 75-5591 Palani Road. Purpose significantly impacts health, happiness, and longevity.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars, VFW Post 12122, located behind Kona Locksmith off Kaiwi Street, $7 Friday meal will be pasta, salad and desert with service from 5 - 7 p.m. Info: Don Zero at (509) 879-1040.
• American Legion Kona Post 20 Adopt-a-Highway trash pick-up, starting 6 a.m. at the Puapuanui Street entrance of the Pualani Estates on Queen Kaahumanu Highway. Info: Post 20 Commander Jim Hussey, (808) 4644341 or (706) 589-0387.
• Free workshop on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Kanu o ka Aina New Century Public Charter School, 64-1043 Hi’iaka St., Waimea. Learn the facts and characteristics of ADHD, how a diagnosis is made, treatment options, and educational interventions. Register online at hawaiilearningresource. org or at 885-9318.
• Kona Community Hospital Auxiliary will hold its monthly board meeting at 12:30 p.m. in Conference Room 1. All members and any persons interested in becoming a volunteer are invited to attend. Info: KCHAuxiliary@hotmail.com or visit KCHAuxiliary.org
• The Big Island Workplace Connection will also be hosting a Job Readiness Workshop from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Aunty Sally’s Luau Hale. Info: Info: Chasity at 961-8379.