Where San Francisco - - The Guide Sights -

Upon her death in 1929, so­cialite and art pa­tron Lil­lie Hitch­cock Coit be­queathed funds for the “beau­ti­fi­ca­tion of the city.” Her heirs used the money to build Coit Tower on Tele­graph Hill. Com­pleted in 1933, the fluted column pro­vides bird’s- eye views from an ob­ser­va­tion deck near the top. Lo­cal artists com­mis­sioned by the Works Progress Ad­min­is­tra­tion (a New Deal agency em­ploy­ing mil­lions of un­skilled work­ers to carry out pub­lic works projects) painted the mu­rals in­side in 1934. Ad­mis­sion to the ground-floor gift shop and mu­rals is free. Open daily 10 am- 6:30 pm. Guided mu­ral tours 11 am Sa. 1 Tele­graph Hill Blvd., 415.249.0995.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.