WHERE HISTORY LIVES
Lewis and Clark launched their Corps of Discovery from the
frontier town of St. Charles in 1804, and in 1821, St. Charles
became Missouri’s first state capital. The entire brick-paved
National Register Historic District on the banks of the Mis
souri River has been preserved and restored, a virtual catalog
of regional vernacular architecture. Historic South Main St.
is lined with more than 125 specialty shops, restaurants,
museums and attractions, including Missouri’s First State
Capitol State Historic Site, Foundry Art Centre, the Lewis &
Clark Boathouse and Nature Center,
Trailhead Brewery, Katy Trail, Little
Hills Winery, Bella Vino Wine Bar,
Old Mill Stream Inn and Magpie’s
Tourism Center at 230 S. Main,
800.366.2427, Map 3-2A.