21 percent of equity partners are female.
Foley & Lardner Milwaukee, WI Chairman and CEO Jay Rothman Chief Diversity and Inclusion
Partner Eileen Ridley
• A career coach was hired to help associates assess career direction, provide assistance with career and workplace dilemmas, and optimize workplace performance.
• The National Women’s Network affinity group facilitates one-on-one mentoring and mentoring circles.
Fox Rothschild Philadelphia, PA Firmwide Managing Partner Mark Morris Women’s Initiative Co-chairs
Lauren McKenna and Nancy Yaffe
• A Succession Planning Committee has been established with gender and diversity as important factors.
• In 2017, it was the first time the Executive Committee’s percentage of women mirrored the percentage of women partners (25 percent).
Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz New York, NY Managing Partner Jeffrey Greenbaum
Partner Terri Seligman
• Fifty-one percent of lawyers are women, and more than 60 percent of the female lawyers are mothers.
• Primary caregivers can take up to 20 weeks paid parental leave, and nonprimary caregivers can take up to six weeks.
Fredrikson & Byron Minneapolis, MN President John Koneck
Board Chair Mary Ranum
• A Glass Ceiling Task Force recommends education, awareness and actionable items to increase women’s equity.
• Fifty percent of new lawyers hired are female.
Goodwin Procter Boston, MA Managing Partner Robert Insolia Co-chairs of Women’s
Initiative Deborah Birnbach and Lisa Haddad
• More than 35 percent of women lawyers below equity partner work reduced hours or flexible schedules.
• The Women in Equity Partner group is tackling such issues as pay equity and leadership development.
Gray Plant Mooty Minneapolis, MN Principal, Managing Officer Sarah Duniway
Principal Jennifer Debrow
• In 2017, women comprised 50 percent of new shareholders (equity partners).
• Birth mothers and fathers receive 16 weeks paid parental leave and a parental tool kit.
Hanson Bridgett San Francisco, CA Managing Partner Andrew Giacomini
Partner Megan Oliver Thompson
• The Women’s Impact Network employee-resource group helped develop a new protocol on development of firm leadership.
• Sixty-five percent of associates and 56 percent of counsel are women.
Hogan Lovells Washington, DC Partner Eve Howard Partner Elizabeth Donley
• The Women’s Initiative Networks resource group hosted a national women’s business development training with a rainmaking expert.
• Fifty percent of associates and 41 percent of lawyers in the U.S. are women.
Holland & Hart Denver, CO Managing Partner Thomas O’Donnell Partner, Women’s Forum
Co-chair Leslie Boyle
• The Women’s Forum developed a Diversity and Inclusion plan that adopts a diversity goal to consider diverse attorneys—at least 30 percent of the candidate pool—for recruitment, promotion to partnership, business development opportunities, and succession planning.
• Forty-seven percent of new lawyers are female.
Hunton Andrews Kurth Washington, DC (Previously Hunton & Williams) Managing Partner
Walfrido J. Martinez Partner in Charge of Lawyer Recruitment and Development Judith H. Itkin • Since the sponsorship program was initiated in 2011, 15 female lawyers were promoted to partner, including four minority females, three of whom were promoted in the past two years.
• Subsidized backup emergency childcare and adult care is available, 20 days per year for each dependent.
Husch Blackwell St. Louis, MO
Chief Executive Paul Eberle Partner Barbara Grandjean
• Husch Blackwell University, the intensive leadership-development program for junior partners, includes discussions about the unique challenges female partners face.
• The updated sponsorship initiative includes bias training and quarterly group meetings.
Jackson Lewis West Harrison, NY Chairman Vincent Cino Principals Susan Corcoran, Stephanie Adler-Paindiris and Margaret Strange
• In March 2017, the firm launched its formal Flexible Workplace policy, a remote-working program geared toward associates and of-counsel attorneys.
• Forty percent of promotions to equity partner are women, and 26 percent of equity partners are women.
Katten Muchin Rosenman Chicago, IL
Chairman Roger Furey Partner Laura Keidan Martin
• In 2017, paid leave for mothers or primary caretakers was expanded from 14 to 20 weeks following the birth or placement of the child.
• The Partner Pipeline Committee identifies women with the greatest potential for advancement to income and capital partner.