46: Percentage of new lawyer hires who are female.
Kirkland & Ellis New York, NY Chairman Jeffrey Hammes
Head of Women’s Initiative
• The Mindful Return program, a self-paced e-course that was designed by a working mother of two and a large-law-firm partner, provides resources to ease both male and female attorneys’ anxieties about the return-to-work process.
• Women held 27 percent of committee-leadership positions and a growing number of committee-membership positions.
Latham & Watkins New York, NY Co-chairs and Managing Partners Ora Fisher and Richard Trobman Partner and Chair of Diversity Leadership Committee William Trach
• The Pace Reduction Option for Ramping Associates to Adjust Program gives associates the automatic option of working reduced hours for up to six months before and after a parental leave.
• The Women’s Leadership Academy, focused on training and mentoring to support the advancement of women to partnership and leadership roles, has benefited more than 900 attendees.
Littler San Francisco, CA Co-presidents and Managing Directors Tom Bender and Jeremy Roth
Shareholder Linda Headley and Dionysia Johnson-Massie
• The Career Advocacy Program (CAP) pairs lawyers with senior mentors, internal and external. In the past three years, newly elevated shareholders participating in CAP have been more than 50 percent women.
• Sixty-five percent of new attorneys are female.
Lowenstein Sandler Roseland, NJ Chairman and Managing Partner Gary Wingens Partner Lynda Bennett
• The Parental Leave Mentoring Network provides attorneys preparing to go out on leave with a list of mentors who successfully reintegrated following their own leaves.
• Parental-leave benefits were expanded for opposite-sex and same-sex couples to allow for 24 total weeks (16 weeks paid) for primary caregivers and 12 total weeks (eight weeks paid) for nonprimary caregivers.
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun Chicago, IL Managing Partner Jeffrey S. Sharp Partner, Chair of Diversity and Inclusion Committee Lynn L. Janulis
• Twenty-three percent of non-equity partners are women.
• A recent Gravitas/Executive Presence program for female attorneys focused on using verbal and nonverbal skills.
McDermott Will & Emery Chicago, IL Chairman and Partner Ira Coleman Partner Jennifer Mikulina
• The firm hosted its second annual Women’s Summit for income partners, counsel and senior staff attorneys. Two hundred women attended, up from 60 the previous year.
• More than half of the associates are female.
Mintz Levin Boston, MA Managing Partner Robert Bodian Member, Chair of Women’s Initiative Meredith Leary
• The Attorney Family Network offers social (book swap, fall family gathering) and developmental programming (chef-led cooking series targeted to busy parents).
• Almost half (49 percent) of new attorneys are female.
Morrison & Foerster San Francisco, CA Managing Partner Tessa Schwartz Director of Attorney Development & Women’s
Initiative Janet Herman
• A new policy gives primary caregivers 20 weeks paid leave following the birth, adoption or foster placement of a child, with secondary caregivers receiving six weeks paid leave.
• Mentoring circles were introduced in U.S. offices, giving women partners and nonpartner lawyers the opportunity to meet on an ongoing basis.
Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart Greenville, SC Managing Shareholder C. Matthew Keen Equity Shareholder, Chair of Women’s Initiative Kerri Reisdorff
• In April 2017, the Board of Directors established a task force of six shareholders (four women and two men) to study advancement and recognition of women.
• Thirty-three percent of the board of directors and 20 percent of equity shareholders are women.
O’Melveny & Myers New York, NY Chairman Bradley Butwin Director of Diversity and Engagement Mary Ellen Connerty
• The last four classes of partners promoted have been 50 percent women.
• The firm subsidizes one-on-one consultations with vetted experts on a range of parenting issues (discipline, achieving milestones, starting solids, sleep training and more).
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe San Francisco, CA Chairman Mitch Zuklie Partner, Chair Women’s
Initiative Leah Sanzari
• The firm provides 22 weeks paid leave to primary caregivers. In 2017, leave benefits for nonprimary caregivers were enhanced by two weeks, providing six weeks paid leave.
• In 2017, the 17-member leadership team was 30 percent women.