57 percent of firms offer formal sponsorship for high-potential female lawyers.
Perkins Coie New York, NY Firmwide Managing Partner John Devaney
Partners Linda Walton and Tina Moss
• In 2017, nearly 20 percent of lawyers worked less than full time, and 32 percent of partners promoted worked reduced hours.
• Forty-seven associates, half of them women, participated in the first Pitch Parade, where associates and counsel presented a mock pitch to partners and volunteer client judges.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman New York, NY
Chair David T. Dekker
• In 2016 and 2017, a program showcased male employees who successfully sponsored women associates and partners, and how they did it.
• In the past five years, more than 40 percent of partner promotions have gone to women.
Quarles & Brady Milwaukee, WI Firm Chair Kimberly Leach Johnson Partner, Women’s Forum
Chair Adrienne Olson
• The firm offers backup care and in-home care for family members of all ages, from infant through elderly. Up to 80 hours may be used at an affordable rate.
• Fifty percent of associates are female.
Reed Smith Pittsburgh, PA Global Managing Partner Sandy Thomas Global Chair of the Women’s
Initiative Network Sara Begley
• In October, the firm launched its Women in the Courtroom initiative to prepare women litigators for future leadership roles in courtroom, litigation and arbitration settings.
• Women are 21 percent of equity partners.
Schiff Hardin Chicago, IL Managing Partner Marci Eisenstein Partner, Women’s Networking Group Chair Amanda MacVey
• In the Advice to My Younger Self program in 2017, experienced women attorneys shared candid stories with associates.
• Twenty-five percent of equity partners are women.
Seyfarth Shaw Chicago, IL Managing Partner Peter Miller Partner, National Chair of Women’s Network Ellen McLaughlin
• Attorneys can move back and forth between partnership and nonpartnership (Professional Services Group) tracks.
• Of the 10 elevations to equity partner in 2017, 40 percent were women.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton New York, NY Managing Partner Guy Halgren
Partner Dianne Smith
• Women partners have 40 percent of the elected seats on the executive committee and 50 percent of the elected seats on the compensation committee.
• Forty-eight percent of associates are female.
Shook, Hardy & Bacon Kansas City, MO Chair Madeleine McDonough
Partner, Chair of Women’s Management Council Jennifer Voss
• The firm’s D&I inclusive leadership development programs recognized hidden barriers women might face and how to address them.
• More than half
(51 percent) of new lawyers hired are female.
Sidley Austin Chicago, IL Chair, Executive Committee Michael Schmidtberger
Co-chairs Laurin Blumenthal, Maja Eaton, Jennifer Hagel
• A new resource guide offers best practices for supporting female talent, on topics such as communication styles, work-life issues, self-promotion, and business-development initiatives.
• Women lawyers were 53 percent of the new partner class in the U.S.
Steptoe & Johnson Washington, DC Chairman Philip West Partners Amanda Varna and Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov
• The billable-hour requirement for full-time attorneys returning from parental leave was reduced to 80 percent for the first 12 weeks, without a salary reduction.
• Forty-five percent of associates are female.
Vinson & Elkins Houston, TX Chairman T. Mark Kelly Managing Partner Scott Wulfe Women’s Initiative Chair
• More than 40 percent of new equity partners are women, and half of new associates are women.
• Two-thirds of women partners are mothers.
Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis Nashville, TN Partner and Chairman Matthew Burnstein
Partner Elle Carr McCulty
• Pre-screened sitters are available for employees’ backup-childcare.
• Thirty-nine percent of new lawyers hired are female.
Wiley Rein Washington, DC Managing Partner Peter Shields Chair of Women’s Initiative
• Fifty-three percent of women partners hold equity in the firm.
• Fifty-six percent of associates are female.
WilmerHale Boston, MA and Washington, DC Co-managing Partners Susan Murley and Robert Novick Chief Legal Personnel & Development Officer Peggy Giunta
• Female partners had lead roles on 60 percent of the 20 largest investigatory matters.
• Forty-four percent of U.S. lawyers and 25 percent of U.S. partners are women.