Thumbs up, down from the Yuma Sun
• Thumbs up to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, for allowing the public to have a front row seat to the Weapons and Tactics Instructor events. It’s amazing to see our Marines in action!
• Thumbs up to New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who became the NFL’s all-time leader in yards passing Monday night!
• Thumbs up to the mural projects underway by Yuma’s Arizona Creative Communities Institute Team. The group is sending “art summons” to interested community members, who then will be invited to paint a gridded portion of one of three murals in Yuma County. The unique project brings together the community while creating public art — and that’s a win for everyone.
• Thumbs up to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, which has launched a food ministry to hand out food boxes to those in need.
• Thumbs up to the Arizona-Mexico Commission, which hosted part of its “Gateway to Arizona” series in Yuma this week. The event showcased our border community and its role in international trade and commerce.
• Thumbs up to Antelope High School Senior Dustyn Ricker, who was named the Arizona Cardinals’ high school Player of the Week. Congrats, Dustyn!
• Thumbs down to whoever invented junk email. Day in and day out, 24 hours a day, our inboxes are inundated with garbage. What we wouldn’t give to get back just a fraction of the time we waste on cleaning out junk emails!
• Thumbs down to the people who decide to do yard work before 7 a.m. Whether it’s a weekday or a weekend, have some courtesy for your neighbors. No one likes to start the day to the tune of weed whackers and leaf blowers.
• Thumbs down to the rash of hit-and-run accidents in Yuma County in the last several months. If you are in an accident, be it big or small, pull over and take responsibility for the situation.
Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down are compiled by the Yuma Sun editorial board, based on recent events, happenings and activities around Yuma County and the nation, and will appear on Fridays in the Yuma Sun.