City of a thousand years
Haø Noäi is the country’s biggest city in area (more than 3,300sq.km) and population (7 million). Lying in the populous and rich Soâng Hoàng (Red River) Delta, Haø Noäi has been the political and cultural centre for centuries. In 1010, Lyù Coâng Uaån, the first king of the Lyù dynasty (1009-1225), decided to relocate the imperial capital from Hoa Lö to Thaêng Long (Haø Noäi). During the Lyù, Traàn (1225-1400), Leâ (1428-1788) and Maïc (1527-92) dynasties, Thaêng Long capital (as Haø Noäi was called then) was the political, cultural, educational and trade centre of the north. During the Taây Sôn (1778-1802) and Nguyeãn (1802-1945) dynasties, the royal capital was relocated to Hueá and from 1831 Thaêng Long started to be named Haø Noäi, under the reign of Minh Maïng (1820-41). It was conquered by the French by the end of the 19th century. In 1902, Haø Noäi became the capital of French Indochina and was rebuilt and restructured by the French. Haø Noäi became the administrative centre of north Vieät Nam of the Democratic Republic of Vieät Nam following the successful August 1945 revolution and then, after the anti-American War, of reunited Vieät Nam in 1976. After the expansion of administrative borders in August 2008, Haø districts, one town and 18 suburbs. Haø Noäi is a major socio-economic centre of Vieät Nam. As a cultural and educational centre, Haø Noäi has many theatres, museums, traditional trade villages, communication agencies and prestigious universities.
Noäi now consists of 10