CHANCELLOR OF COPPERSTONE UNIVERSITY
Dear Faculty, Staff, Students and the Community at Large:
It is my very great pleasure to formally introduce Professor Ngotho Wa Kariuki to the office of Chancellor of Copperstone University. Professor Ngotho Wa Kariuki will join Copperstone University in June 2018, prior to the celebration of our Charter Day. This important appointment is the culmination of a rigorous international and national search fueled by Copperstone’s primary objective of fostering quality and solid higher education to Zambians and the world at large.
Professor Ngotho Wa Kariuki’s appointment comes at a time when the Higher Education Authority has presented universities with immense opportunities to re-imagine their role in the Zambia. The role of knowledge and scholarship has been the most longstanding important differentiator between successful countries and those that are less successful. As grappling with the challenge of creating and transmitting knowledge that is at once universal and globally competitive continues, it is also true that our nation is facing a number of socio-economic challenges which demand that our universities be responsive and relevant institutions. Universities must continue to be cradles for developing minds that address some of the intractable challenges of corruption, poverty, inequality and unemployment, occupational safety, environmental health and much more. Professor Ngotho Wa Kariuki will be working to position Copperstone University to provision for structured academic programs in Entrepreneurship; Design and Technology, Occupational Safety and Health Environment (OSHE); Leather Technology; Fire Technology training; Forensic and Strategic Studies Research and Consultancy services in Entrepreneurship and Developing the young enterprise and Enterprise development incubation facilities amongst other priorities identified.
Professor Ngotho Wa Kariuki’s brings to Copperstone University the wealth of administrative and academic experience. A quick summary is here included for your review.
• Over thirty years of experience as Lecturer, Professor, Trainer and Consultant on Taxation, Financial Management and Public Finance Management; Wide knowledge of Public Sector Management, Civil Service Reform and Tax Systems of East, Central and Southern African countries gained through designing marketing and delivering innovative and highly successful training programs for Senior Civil Servants.
• A member of Judges and Magistrates Vetting Board ( JMVB), a constitutional Commission formed after Kenyans New 2010 Constitution to vet and establish suitability of judicial officers who were in office by August 27, 2010. Chair of Publication editorial committee and finance and human resources committee.
• Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation (CFTC), London. Seconded as a Commonwealth Expert/ Advisor and Visiting Professor of Finance, Accounting and Taxation, to the Government of Republic of Cameroon, University of Buea (2006-2010)
• Practiced as a Public Accountant and Auditor for several years and a founding member of the Institute of Certified public Accountants in Kenya, 1978. Member of the initial Council. Helped to draft the first Act, which set up the Accounting Institute and the subsequent amendments. Became CPA in 1975. Currently a partner in a practice he founded. (Ngotho Wa Kariuki and Associates CPAs).
• Extensive experience in teaching, research and University administration at senior management level as Chairman - Department of Accounting and Dean of Faculty of Commerce, Chairman of various University Committees. Member of Senate and a representative of the University in several committees and Boards, University of Nairobi.
• Professor of Financial Management, Accounting and Taxation, University of Venda, Limpopo Province, Republic of South Africa.
• Head of Accounting Program in Executive MBA, Africa University, Mutare, Zimbabwe. Helped set up Executive MBA program, National University of Science and Technology, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Member of the University Senate, Africa University, Mutare.
• Head of Department of Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, University of Namibia. Member of the University Senate, Member of Financial Advisory Committee of the University of Namibia
• Successful track record of capacity building of East, Central and Southern African Senior Managers of industry, banking, parastatals and Government ministries enhanced during three years as Senior Consultant at a leading management training institute.
• Ability to combine academic leadership with a record of successful Senior management in private and public sector; skilled and experienced in policy analysis and application, negotiating at various levels, communicating with people from different backgrounds at national and international level
• Over thirty year of experience in rural development work mostly in voluntary capacity.
• Experience in Government accounting and Public sector accounting. Recently participated in a consultancy on Review of State Finance Act in Namibia.
• Worked on the document and the Terms of Reference for the review of the Namibian tax system as recommended by the World Bank in the 1996 report. Designed the Tax training program for the tax officers in Namibia.