Touring firm chef attempts suicide
A CHEF at Wild Horizons touring company in Victoria Falls allegedly tried to kill himself by drinking rat poison after he was caught stealing meat worth $51 from a kitchen he was working in.
Thathani Ncube, whose age could not be established, was admitted to Chinotimba Medical Centre on Monday night where he was reportedly treated for poisoning, The Chronicle was told.
Ncube, who has worked at Wild Horizon’s Elephant Ride Camp, popularly known as Wallo for close to 20 years, allegedly stole the meat weighing 5kg on Sunday last week.
He was allegedly caught red-handed and was taken for a disciplinary hearing.
Acting officer commanding police in Victoria Falls District Superintendent Dominic Sibanda confirmed the theft but couldn’t be drawn into commenting about the alleged suicide attempt.
“We received a report about an employee who stole meat from a kitchen at Elephant Ride. The meat was recovered and is valued at $51.12. The suspect will be charged with theft,” said Supt Sibanda.
Ncube’s workmates who spoke on condition of anonymity said he started acting awkwardly on Sunday.
“He stole some meat and was made to write a report. Everyone was shocked when Ncube started telling people to look after his family. People quizzed what he was up to and got no answer. He later said he wanted to consume some pain killers and no one suspected that he meant poison,” said one workmate.
She said Ncube was rushed to Chinotimba Medical Centre where he was admitted.
“We wonder why wanted to kill himself given the amount involved,” she said.
Wild Horizon chief executive officer Mr Gary Archer said: “Yes it’s true but I’m not in a position to say anything now as investigations are underway.”
It couldn’t be established yesterday if Ncube was still in hospital.