Toddler dies after drinking pesticide
A TWO-YEAR-OLD Masvingo toddler died after he drank pesticide from a bottle that he picked from the fields while playing with his three-year-old sister.
Family sources said Allan Nhekana of Mukuti Resettlement complained of stomach pains after downing the contents.
The boy was rushed to Guwa Clinic but died on admission.
Masvingo police spokesperson Inspector Charity Mazula said the incident occurred last Wednesday at around 2PM.
She said the boy’s body was taken to Morgenster Mission Hospital for a post-mortem.
“We have received a case of sudden death by poisoning involving a two year-old toddler. The toddler drank the poison after being left in the custody of his three year-old sister by the mother, Ms Espina Vhomo. Ms Vhomo had gone to fetch water from a nearby well,” said Insp Mazula.
She said while playing, Allan picked a 50ml pesticide bottle and drank the contents.