Sweet re­venge for Hwange

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Sport - To­bias Man­doreba in Hwange

Hwange 1-0 Tsholot­sho A FOURTH minute goal by en­ter­pris­ing Hwange at­tack­ing mid­fielder Gift Mb­weti was enough for the coalmin­ers’ re­venge on a stub­born Tsholot­sho in a crack­ing Cas­tle Lager Premier League match at the Col­liery Sta­dium yes­ter­day.

Tsholot­sho ham­mered Hwange 3-0 in the re­verse fix­ture in Bu­l­awayo be­fore the mid-sea­son break.

Hwange’s young sen­sa­tional play­maker Mb­weti will, how­ever, be the first to ad­mit that the he knew noth­ing about the goal, as de­fender Trust Nyabinde’s at­tempted clear­ance can­noned off the young­ster to loop over out­drawn Tsholot­sho goal­keeper Nickel Marichi.

The keeper had raced off his line in an ef­fort to avert a sweep­ing Hwange at­tack, only for Nyabinde to hit his clear­ance against Mb­weti and the ball looped over him.

The goal came mo­ments af­ter the vis­i­tors, who pres­surised the home side through­out the game with some sleek pass­ing, had missed a glo­ri­ous op­por­tu­nity to open the scor­ing. B ruce Madamombe was al­lowed a free header in­side the Hwange box, but the ball sailed inches over the bar with goal­keeper Fu­ture Sibanda beaten. Mb­weti could have grabbed a brace in the 20th minute, but Marichi thwarted the young­ster with a bril­liant one­handed save. Af­ter that, Tsholot­sho si­lenced the drum beat­ing Hwange fans by pin­ning the coalmin­ers in their own half with some re­lent­less at­tack­ing foot­ball. Nyabinde al­most turned from vil­lain to hero in the 25th minute with a dip­ping free kick from the edge of the box that was tipped over the bar by Sibanda with the vis­i­tors’ bench al­ready cel­e­brat­ing. Former Hwange mid­fielder Nkosana Si­wela and MacClive Phiri also had clear cut chances to level mat­ters be­fore the break, but the ball would some­how not trickle into the net.

The script was the same in the sec­ond half, with the vis­i­tors ha­rass­ing the coalmin­ers from all an­gles.

With some luck, Hwange could have dou­bled their lead in the 63rd minute when Mb­weti’s trick­ery on the right flank en­abled him to lay a sit­ter for New­man Sian­chali, whose rasp­ing shot flew over the cross­bar, with Marichi div­ing in des­per­a­tion.

Tsholot­sho in­tro­duced Den­ford Moyo and Ayanda Ncube for Si­wela and Bruno Madan­hire soon af­ter Sian­chali’s glar­ing miss, adding to Iz­iqholo ZeZh­wane’s sting up­front, but the Hwange rear­guard stood their ground in a nervy end to the game for the home team.

Hwange coach Me­belo Njekwa heaved a huge sigh of re­lief when ref­eree Nkosikhona Moyo blew to end the game.

“Tsholot­sho gave us a good run for our money as they fought through­out the match. We had good chances to wrap up the game, but such is foot­ball and we hope to con­tinue well in the last half of the cam­paign,” said Njekwa.

His Tsholot­sho coun­ter­part Lizwe Sweswe was im­pressed by his charges de­spite the nar­row loss.

“We played well as a team de­spite the loss. The per­for­mance by the boys to­day gives us con­fi­dence go­ing for­ward as we lost by a goal, which came as a re­sult of luck,” said Sweswe.

Lizwe Sweswe Teams Hwange: Me­belo Njekwa Tsholot­sho:

Min­is­ter Makhosini Hlong­wane

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.