Byo City run riot over Caps

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Sport - Ricky Zililo

Bu­l­awayo City 3-1 Caps United BU­L­AWAYO City ran riot over ti­tle-chas­ing Caps United in a Cas­tle Lager Premier Soc­cer League en­counter at Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium yes­ter­day. A brace by Trevor Ndlovu and a strike by Mkhu­l­uli Moyo se­cured max­i­mum points for City, while Caps United got their con­so­la­tion from Devon Chafa in the ref­eree’s op­tional time. City started the match at an elec­tri­fy­ing pace and should have shot into the lead in the first minute when mid­fielder Wel­come Ndi­weni set Moyo through, but the lanky striker failed to beat big Caps United goal­keeper Ed­more Sibanda from close range. Six min­utes later, Moyoy made upp for his ear­lier miss by beat­ing Sibanda with aplomb, fir­ing home from the edge of the box. City, who had con­gested the mid­field, won most of the du­els and forced Caps United to back pedal for the bet­ter part of the first half.

City’s mid­field of Kelvin Mad­zongwe, skip­per Xolisani Moyo, Trevor Ndlovu, Ndi­weni and Lewis Ncube suf­fo­cated Caps United mid­field­ers Joel Ngodzo, Devon Chafa, Moses Muchenje and Amos Kam­banje, mak­ing it dif­fi­cult for the vis­i­tors.

The only vis­i­ble play­ers on the pitch for Caps United were Ngodzo and Hardlife Zvirekwi, who seemed de­ter­mined to fight the bat­tle while the rest looked clue­less if not dis­in­ter­ested.

In the 40th minute, Ngodzo’s hard and low shot from the right went across the face of goal af­ter find­ing no tak­ers.

Two min­utes later, City dou­bled their lead through Ndlovu, who fin­ished off a per­fect move started by Ndi­weni. The lat­ter re­ceived a pass on the right side from Xolisani and then nut­megged Jus­tice Jangano, as he ven­tured up­front ex­chang­ing passes with Mkh Mkhu­l­uli. He got into the box and played a squa square pass to Ndlovu on the far side, who oblig obliged by tap­ping the ball into an empty net.

Ca Caps United re­turned from the breather an impr im­proved side, play­ing some di­rect foot­ball and h had their first at­tempt at City’s goal in the 64th minute through a long range shot from Janga Jangano.

Ci City im­me­di­ately launched a quick counter at­tac at­tack and won a free-kick near the right corn cor­ner af­ter Carl­ton Mun­z­abwa brought down Mkhu­l­uli in a des­per­ate at­tempt to stop the s striker.

Nc Ncube sent in a good de­liv­ery that Xolisani head headed onto the path of Ndlovu, whose shot beat a div­ing Sibanda, killing Caps United’s hope hopes of a come­back.

Ve Vet­eran Caps United for­ward Leonard Tsipa blew a per­fect chance to re­duce ar­rears in th the 84th minute by com­pletely miss­ing the ball withw only City’s keeper Ndo­dana Sibanda to be beat.

Ch Chafa then grabbed the con­so­la­tion goal for C Caps United in in­jury time when his shot off a re­bound went through a clus­ter of legs beati beat­ing an ob­structed Ndo­dana.

Ci City’s care­taker coach Try Ncube heaped prais praise on his boys for stick­ing to their game plan plan.

“It was a tough match, but we got our tac­tics right. We re­ally needed three points and we knew that they were go­ing to come at us so we were ready to soak pres­sure and break with pace,” said Ncube.

Caps United as­sis­tant coach Mark Mathe said: “We’re re­ally not happy con­ced­ing three goals. We could’ve de­fended bet­ter in the first half where we didn’t show de­sire to play. We will go back and work on our short­com­ings.” – @ZililoR

Mark Mathe

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.