Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Sport - Sikhum­buzo Moyo

LEG­ENDARY for­mer Zim­babwe Saints, Dy­namos and War­riors’ star mid­fielder Ron­ald “Gidiza” Sibanda has gone miss­ing.

He has not been seen since Sun­day when he left his fam­ily home in New Loben­gula for Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium for the High­landers and How Mine en­counter. Sibanda was not at Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium for the match.

His friend Mphathisi Ndlovu, whom he was with, has also not been seen since Sun­day.

Gidiza’s mother Sithokozile Sibanda said the lanky for­mer mid­fielder and Ndlovu’s mo­bile phones have been off since Tues­day evening. The friend, who was driv­ing a com­pany car and works in Harare, has also not re­ported for work this week. A miss­ing per­sons’ re­port has been made with the po­lice.

The fam­ily said they have checked all hos­pi­tals in Bu­l­awayo as well as mor­tu­ar­ies to no avail.

“Gidiza left on Sun­day say­ing he was go­ing to Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium. These days he had been stay­ing at his house in Nketa be­cause his wife, who works in South Africa, was around so when he did not pass by later af­ter the match we were not wor­ried much be­cause we thought he was in Nketa,” said his vis­i­bly dis­traught mother.

She said lit­tle did they know that Ron­ald was not at his house, as his wife went to New Loben­gula look­ing for him since she was sup­posed to re­turn to South Africa.

“We told her that we also thought she was with him. As a grown up per­son, I in­wardly told my­self that per­haps he was some­where with a girl­friend, but when the whole day passed, I be­gan to worry a bit. I phoned him at around 7PM, but his phone was an­swered by some­one who said my son was al­ready asleep,” she said.

She said mo­ments later she called again be­cause she did not be­lieve that Gidiza could be asleep that early.

“The per­son sud­denly changed and said Ron­ald was driv­ing and there­fore could not talk on the phone, which was rare for him to do that, es­pe­cially know­ing that it was his mother. There was some noise in the back­ground, which was not that of a ra­dio. While I was still talk­ing, the per­son switched off the phone and it has not been on since then,” she said.

She said they heard on Tues­day that Ron­ald had been seen in the com­pany of Mphathisi, who is known to the fam­ily, and they im­me­di­ately went to en­quire from Mphathisi’s fa­ther, who also told them that his son had not been home.

“On Wed­nes­day, Mphathisi’s fa­ther came to my house and said his son came home on Tues­day night and knocked at the door, but asked him not to open the door. He told him that he was with friends and they would come back later,” she said.

It was the last time Mphathisi spoke to his fa­ther, as his phone has not been reach­able since.

“I am re­ally wor­ried and I am even fail­ing to eat,” said Sibanda.

Ron­ald’s brother, for­mer High­landers coach Bongani Mafu, who is now coach­ing Botswana’s Mochudi Cen­tre Chiefs coach, changed his What­sApp pro­file pic­ture and put var­i­ous pic­tures of Ron­ald, while his sta­tus is writ­ten in French “La vie put etre belle” (life could be beautiful. - @skhu­moyo2000

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.