$2m aid for vulnerable households
THE Government disbursed over $2 million to more than 52 000 vulnerable households in the country between January and June this year.
Announcing the Mid Term Policy Review on Thursday last week, the Minister of Finance and Economic Development Patrick Chinamasa said beneficiaries were identified from elderly and child headed families.
The assistance comes at a time when the Government is importing grain to cushion families from food shortages due to this year’s drought.
The Government’s commitment towards the vulnerable fulfils President Mugabe’s declaration that no one would die of hunger in the country.
Minister Chinamasa said cash transfers amounting to over $2 million were made to vulnerable families.
“During the first half of the year, the budget disbursed $1, 7 million towards 52 000 households headed by the elderly and orphans in the form of cash transfers, with an additional $350 000 disbursed in support of people living with disabilities,” said Minister Chinamasa.
He said Treasury availed grain worth $3 million to about 626 200 food distressed households and paid fees for over 20 000 pupils under the Basic Education Assistance Module (Beam) facility.
“Furthermore, $2 million was disbursed towards examination fee support for around 20 000 vulnerable schoolchildren under the BEAM programme,” he said.
“This was complemented by development partner support through UNICEF, which disbursed $9, 3 million out of the 2016 projection of $25, 3 million for child protection programmes for orphans and vulnerable children.”
He said child protection disbursements were done through direct cash transfers, procurement of commodities and supplies of food, medicines, and vaccines, among others.
Minister Chinamasa said the country has received over $470 million from development partners.— @nqotshili