BULAWAYO, Wednesday, September 21, 1966 — Crown witnesses told the High Court, Bulawayo, yesterday that an African, with his hands handcuffed behind him, was assaulted by two African constables in the Kezi area in May this year. The two constables, before Mr Justice HE Davis and two assessors are charged with the murder of Mr Sikwakwa Dube who died after an assault on May 15. They are Mazwipa, of Mambale police post, and Katize of Sun Yet Sen police post. They have pleaded not guilty. Mr Simeon Simon, of Semukwe, said the constables were investigating the theft of his bed.
They had taken him from his kraal at about 9am he said, and had assaulted Mr Dube continuously until shortly before he died at 4pm. Mr Simon said Mr Dube was assaulted at his kraal, where after the assault , he was asked to change his clothes. He said he collapsed and died as he was given water to drink. Another witness, Mr John Sibanda, said the two constables severely assaulted Mr Dube at his kraal.
Const Caesar, of Kezi, said Mr Dube was brought to Kezi under arrest by Mazwipa on May 14. Later that evening he had been assaulted by Katize. Constable Caesar said Mr Dube admitted he had stolen the bed. The hearing continues today. Mr Justice Davies is sitting with Mr C S Parker and F W Fowler. Advt J Giles appears for the Crown, Adv F G Farmar represents Mazwipa and Katize is represented by Adv A R Gubbay.