BULAWAYO, Thursday, September 26, 1991 — The intake of students at the School of Mines has increased by 15 percent, the acting principal of the school, Cde Steven Mambondimumwe, said yesterday.
Presenting a report on the school’s performance at a graduation ceremony in Bulawayo, Cde Mambondimumwe said this year’s intake had improved considerably compared to previous years’ enrolment. Last year, there were 19 first-year students, while this year there are 21, two of whom, are foreign students.
Cde Mambondimumwe said both the staff and students were experiencing serious accommodation problems and recommended that consideration be given to the provision of student hostels and staff houses at the new School of Mines site.
He said the staffing situation at the school had improved but there was still need to recruit a science and electrical-oriented lecturer.
He also expressed concern at the delays in processing final examination results and salaries for new staff members. “The results of examinations written in 1989 were only published in the third term of last year and this inconvenienced the students and their employers. New members of staff go two months without pay,’’ said Cde Mambondimumwe.
Meanwhile the school of Mines may soon move to a new site adjacent to the Old Nic Mine just outside the city, following recommendations by the school’s advisory committee to the Minister of Mines, Mr Chris Andersen.
The School of Mines is currently operating from the Bulawayo Polytechnic. About $350 000 would be needed to set up temporary accommodation at the new site and another $350 000 for buying of additional equipment.