Veldfire spreads to homestead, 2-year-old killed in inferno
A BOY (2) was burnt to ashes on Sunday night after his father left a fire unattended resulting in it consuming a bedroom hut they were sleeping in. Midlands Police Spokesperson Inspector Joel Goko confirmed the incident.
“I can confirm that we are investigating a sudden death case whereby Reason Sibanda of Silompa Village under Chief Njelele died on Sunday night after his father Chenjerai Sibanda had left a fire burning just outside his homestead, since he wanted to clear the land for farming,” said Insp Goko.
“At around 8PM, strong winds started blowing while Chenjerai and his son were asleep in their bedroom hut. Chenjerai was awakened by searing heat and he went outside to investigate, leaving his son inside,” said Insp Goko.
“Chenjerai discovered that the bedroom had caught fire. The fire spread fast and the roof collapsed. He tried to rescue his son but he failed due to massive flames which burnt the son to ashes,” he added .
Insp Goko said that police attended the scene and there were no remains found.
Meanwhile, in the same village on the same night a 13-year-old girl died after she was struck by a branch from a falling tree.
Insp Goko said: “We’re investigating a sudden death whereby Petronella Gondo died on Sunday night. Heavy winds which were blowing caused a huge tree which was next to the hut she was sleeping in with her sister Patricia Gondo to fall down onto the hut. The tree destroyed the hut and struck her on the head. She died on the spot.”— @patiemtsiwi.