Man stones lover’s mum, sets hut ablaze

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - National News - Tanaka Mrewa Court Re­porter

A HERDSMAN from Mato­pos who went hay­wire and set his girl­friend’s mother’s hut ablaze be­fore bash­ing her with a stone on the head, has been jailed for seven years.

But­holezwe Moyo (23) told a court he lost it when his girl­friend’s mum re­fused to let him see her.

Neigh­bours had to break down a door to the burn­ing hut to res­cue the el­derly woman.

Moyo, who ap­par­ently had not fin­ished with the woman, pounced on her as soon as she ran out of the hut and hit her sev­eral times on the head with a stone.

He told Bu­l­awayo Re­gional Mag­is­trate Mr Chrispen Mberewere that he was an­gry be­cause he had just dis­cov­ered that his girl­friend was hav­ing nu­mer­ous af­fairs with herds­men in the com­mu­nity as well as his un­cle. Moyo pleaded guilty to at­tempted mur­der. “Your Wor­ship I’m re­ally sorry. I beat the wrong per­son. I in­tended to con­front my girl­friend. I was fum­ing be­cause she was sleep­ing with other herds­men in our com­mu­nity. She had no shame at all be­cause she went on to sleep with my un­cle. I got to their home­stead drunk so I didn’t re­alise I had stoned the wrong per­son,” said Moyo.

Mr Mberewere said sen­tenced Moyo to seven years in jail.

“Two years will be sus­pended for five years on con­di­tion that you do not ter­rify peo­ple or com­mit any of­fence in­volv­ing vi­o­lence. If you do you shall be sent to jail with­out the op­tion of a fine. The re­main­ing five years, you will serve them ef­fec­tively in jail,” said Mr Mberewere.

Pros­e­cut­ing, Mr Sim­barashe Manyiwa told the court that on Septem­ber 9, Moyo went to his girl­friend’s home­stead around 9PM.

His girl­friend’s mother re­fused to let him see her say­ing it was late for her daugh­ter to come out.

“The ac­cused per­son swore to the com­plainant that if she didn’t re­lease her daugh­ter, no one would sleep at the home­stead.

“Ac­cused started bang­ing on all the doors at the home­stead then went away. Around mid­night he came back and set the com­plainant’s hut on fire. She screamed for help and her daugh­ter rushed out,” said Mr Manyiwa.

He added that neigh­bours axed the door to res­cue the woman.

“As the com­plainant came out of the burn­ing hut she was struck with a stone on the head by the ac­cused. The com­plainant was taken to the hospi­tal and ac­cused was ar­rested,” said the pros­e­cu­tor.—@tan­nytkay.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.