Fam­ily in skir­mish with fu­neral par­lour direc­tor

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - National News - Pamela Shumba

A BU­L­AWAYO fam­ily was in­volved in a skir­mish with Run­yaradzo Fu­neral Par­lour direc­tor Mr Du­misani Mu­tor­era af­ter he al­legedly locked up their rel­a­tive’s body fol­low­ing a row over a debt.

Run­yaradzo Fu­neral Par­lour is a newly es­tab­lished fu­neral ser­vices com­pany that has created con­fu­sion among clients as it has colours and lo­gos that are sim­i­lar to renowned fu­neral com­pany Nyaradzo Group.

The fall­out, ac­cord­ing to rel­a­tives of the dead man, arose af­ter the fu­neral par­lour sud­denly in­creased the fee they had charged by al­most 400 per­cent from $60 to $230.

Rel­a­tives of the late Mike Njoroma, who died in a traf­fic ac­ci­dent near Nku­lumane Com­plex last week, spent the day at the fu­neral par­lour’s of­fices in Kelvin North af­ter Mr Mu­tor­era al­legedly locked up the body and left.

They left with the body for their ru­ral home in Shamva at 3AM yes­ter­day af­ter po­lice in­ter­ven­tion.

One of Njoroma’s rel­a­tives, Mr Peter Gore­dema, said trou­ble started af­ter the fu­neral par­lour in­creased charges for their ser­vices just be­fore they col­lected the body.

“We ap­proached Run­yaradzo fu­neral par­lour to pre­pare the body for the trip and pro­vide trans­port to Shamva. We were charged $60 for pre­par­ing the body and we agreed. We also agreed that we would leave for Shamva at 12 noon,” said Mr Gore­dema.

“They post­poned the depar­ture time to 3PM cit­ing some chal­lenges and we un­der­stood. At 3PM they failed to pro­vide trans­port and we de­cided to look for al­ter­na­tive trans­port. We quickly se­cured al­ter­na­tive trans­port and asked the par­lour to give us the body”.

Mr Gore­dema added that the par­lour officials de­manded $230 in­stead of the ini­tial $60 that had been charged for their ser­vices.

“We started ar­gu­ing and re­minded them that they had de­layed us since 12PM but they wouldn’t un­der­stand. They in­sisted that we pay $230. The direc­tor locked up the body and aban­doned us. He told us that no one had the right to teach him how to run his busi­ness. He also told us that we won’t win any war with him be­cause he is well con­nected.

“We had to seek help from the po­lice at Western Com­mon­age po­lice sta­tion. We ne­go­ti­ated the fee down to $195 and the body was re­leased by his sub­or­di­nates at about 3AM,” said Mr Gore­dema.

Run­yaradzo sales man­ager, Ms Chipo Marara, con­firmed the al­ter­ca­tion be­tween the par­lour and the be­reaved fam­ily.

She, how­ever, said trou­ble started when they dis­cov­ered that the fam­ily was trav­el­ling to Shamva in­stead of Harare as ear­lier men­tioned.

“They ap­proached us say­ing they were go­ing to Harare but when the burial or­der came, we re­alised that their rel­a­tive would be buried in Shamva. We asked them to top up for the ex­tra 92km but they re­fused and de­manded the body.

“We had no prob­lem with them find­ing al­ter­na­tive trans­port but we wanted them to pay for the ser­vices ren­dered, which in­cluded re­mov­ing the body from Mpilo Cen­tral Hospi­tal to Kelvin, wash­ing and em­balm­ing the body as well as han­dling ser­vices,” said Ms Marara, adding that the charge was $195.

She said they only re­leased the body in the early hours of yes­ter­day af­ter the fam­ily paid the $195. — @pame­lashumba1

Run­yaradzo Fu­neral Ser­vices

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.