Moyo loses EFC heavy­weight ti­tle to Van Zyl

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Sport -

AN­DREW “One Gear” van Zyl is the EFC heavy­weight cham­pion of the world, com­ing back from three rounds down to de­feat Elvis “The Bomber” Moyo by TKO, shown live on Kwesé Free Sports.

Moyo was able to land a few heavy punches early on, with van Zyl wait­ing for his chance for the take­down. In the fi­nal minute of the first round Van Zyl will­ingly ate a punch to close the dis­tance and pin Moyo against the fence, but he ran out of time, only get­ting the Zim­bab­wean on the ground af­ter the horn had sounded.

Van Zyl, as a clinch spe­cial­ist, made it his strat­egy to close Moyo down, and “One Gear” was able to get up close to Moyo three times in the sec­ond round with­out man­ag­ing to take him down. The Bomber con­tin­ued to land sledge­ham­mer blows while avoid­ing the clinch, and van Zyl ended the sec­ond round look­ing bruised and blood­ied.

By the end of the third round “The Bomber” was look­ing like the win­ner, as Van Zyl had to take plenty of dam­age with­out mak­ing the most of his op­por­tu­ni­ties when he got Moyo up against the fence.

But with four min­utes to go Van Zyl man­aged to mount Moyo, and from that po­si­tion he was able to land some killer blows with his el­bows, draw­ing blood from Moyo and win­ning with a TKO.

“What an an­i­mal, what a great fight, thank you Elvis Moyo,” Van Zyl said af­ter the match. “This oke is an an­i­mal!”

“I’ve got to con­grat­u­late An­drew,” Moyo replied. “If he was some­one else he would have been out of there the mo­ment I touched him. I just made a small mis­take at the end, and it cost me dearly.”

The night’s un­der­card ac­tion started with Michael ‘Tank’ Ver­meulen tak­ing on To­masz ‘Kredka’ Kowalkowski of Poland, but it didn’t last very long as the South African forced his op­po­nent to tap out in the first round.

The sec­ond match of the evening fea­tured an­other South African, Wes­sel Mostert, tak­ing on Nico Yamd­jie of Cameroon.

The 28-year-old from Jo­han­nes­burg known as Wess Ex­press made light work of ‘Lion’ once he got on top of the Cameroo­nian and de­liv­ered a se­ries of crunch­ing blows to earn a TKO.

The night’s third en­counter saw a wel­ter­weight clash be­tween Bruno “Ma­jor” Mukulu from DR Congo and Henry “Her­culeez” Fadipe of Nige­ria.

Un­like the ear­lier fights, which ended in the first round, this was a more ten­ta­tive af­fair, with much of the first round spent danc­ing around, with Mukulu weigh­ing up his op­po­nent, who him­self was get­ting the feel of the ring, hav­ing not fought in the pre­vi­ous two years.

But in the sec­ond round Fadipe went on the of­fen­sive, and his long-range had Mukulu back­track­ing and avoid­ing the big Nige­rian for much of the sec­ond round, an eva­sive ap­proach that saw the “Ma­jor” docked a point for in­ac­tiv­ity.

“Her­culeez” went big at the be­gin­ning of the fi­nal round, and spent most of it chas­ing Mukulu around the ring, land­ing the oc­ca­sional heavy blow, but mostly play­ing with the man from Congo, who con­tin­ued to evade the Nige­rian, be­fore the ref­eree called the fight in Fadipe’s favour due to Mukulu’s in­ac­tiv­ity. — On­line

Elvis “The Bomber” Moyo

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.