Bosso move into sec­ond

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Sport - Ricky Zililo

High­landers 3-1 Bu­l­awayo City HIGH­LANDERS kept their ti­tle dream alive by mov­ing a place up the lad­der into sec­ond on the Cas­tle lager Premier­ship ta­ble af­ter win­ning the City of Kings derby against Bu­l­awayo City at Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium yes­ter­day.

Bosso took their win­ning run to a mag­nif­i­cent seven games and now sit on 53 points, one be­hind log lead­ers Caps United who staged a mys­te­ri­ous come­back in the Harare derby; com­ing from 0-3 down to force a 3-3 draw against for­mer cham­pi­ons Dy­namos.

With three min­utes to go, High­landers fans were ec­static think­ing they now oc­cu­pied top spot since the last they had heard, Caps United were trail­ing 3-0 and Bosso were lead­ing 2-1. Sub­sti­tute King Nadolo then struck on the stroke of full­time to give Bosso a 3-1 vic­tory.

When ref­eree Mun­yaradzi Ma­joni blew to end the game, Bosso fans’ cel­e­bra­tions were rather sub­dued as in­for­ma­tion fil­tered through that Caps United had per­formed some kind of Hou­dini act in Harare to grab a point.

High­landers scored through Gabriel Ny­oni, Si­mon Mu­nawa and Nadolo to cut the gap be­tween them and Caps United to just one point and are now hop­ing they con­tinue their win­ning spree and that the Green Ma­chine fal­ters in the next game against Harare City.

Ny­oni gave High­landers a 20th minute lead, cap­i­tal­is­ing on a goal­keep­ing boob by Bu­l­awayo City’s Ndo­dana Sibanda, who mis­cal­cu­lated Allen Ga­hadzikwa’s long pass in­tended for Ny­oni. The ball took an awk­ward bounce and over Sibanda, leav­ing Ny­oni with the sim­plest task of head­ing into an empty net.

The goal took the steam out of City and High­landers soon dou­bled their lead through Mu­nawa, who did jus­tice to a fa­tanstic move in the 37th minute.

The move was started by in-form Rah­man Kut­sanzira, who gave the ball to Ga­hadzikwa, who quickly re­leased it to Prince Dube. Dube sent a through pass to Mu­nawa on the right side of the penalty box and he obliged with a hard and low shot across Sibanda into the far bot­tom cor­ner.

Bosso cap­tain of the day Erick Mudz­ingwa then went on to con­cede a silly penalty when he kicked City’s for­ward Trevor Ndlovu in­side the box in the ref­eree’s first half op­tional time. Skip­per Xolisani Moyo sent High­landers’ goal­keeper Ariel Sibanda the wrong way to give his team some hope.

Nadolo sealed the game with his sec­ond touch of the ball in the 90th minute af­ter re­plac­ing the in­jured Nh­lanhla Ndlovu. Nadolo pun­ished City, who had gone on an at­tack in pur­suit of an equaliser, by dis­pos­sess­ing Kelvin Mad­zongwe in the cen­tre, re­leased the ball to Dube, who charged to­wards the goal be­fore lay­ing a pass to Nadolo, who toe-poked the ball past the ad­vanc­ing Ndo­dana.

An ec­static High­landers coach Erol Ak­bay said: “The dream is on and we’ll see what hap­pens at the end of the sea­son. Happy that we won by a two-goal mar­gin so we’re now tied on goal dif­fer­ence with Caps United. We could have won by a big­ger mar­gin, but failed to utilise our chances.”

Bosso and Caps United each have a goal dif­fer­ence of 18 goals, and should the cham­pi­onship be de­cided through a goal dif­fer­ence, High­landers will rue the chances they missed.

Ga­hadzikwa blew two glo­ri­ous scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties in the open­ing 10 min­utes, while Mu­nawa hit the up­right to­wards half­time af­ter be­ing fed by Dube.

Matema also failed to find the back of the net in the 67th and 71st min­utes af­ter get­ting to the end of pin­point passes from Dube.

Bosso need to im­prove their con­ver­sion rate to keep up with Caps United when they face rel­e­ga­tion threat­ened Tsholot­sho FC in their next en­counter.

City on the other hand hardly trou­bled the High­landers’ goal­keeper with their in­terim coach Try Ncube say­ing they paid dearly for their mis­takes.

“We started slow and the first goal got Bosso into the game. Af­ter that we made so many mis­takes, but I’m happy with how we re­sponded in the sec­ond half,” Ncube said.

His cap­tain Moyo said: “We were al­ways sec­ond on the ball and we were re­act­ing in­stead of be­ing in con­trol. It wasn’t our day and play­ing a team that is en­joy­ing a good run was al­ways go­ing to be tricky.” — @ZililoR —

High­landers team mates con­grat­u­late Gabriel Ny­oni (sec­ond from left) for scor­ing the first goal against Bu­l­awayo City dur­ing a soc­cer league match played at Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium yes­ter­day Pic­ture by Den­nis Mudza­miri

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.