D-Day looms for suspended Byo councillors
THE Government will this week reveal the fate of five Bulawayo councillors who were last month suspended on allegations of corruption.
Deputy Mayor Gift Banda, Clrs Charles Moyo (Ward Nine), Mzama Dube (Ward 25), Reuben Matengu (Ward 21) and James Sithole (Ward Seven) were suspended on September 20 in a move aimed at weeding out the rot within the Bulawayo City Council.
The Ministry of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing suspended the city fathers after an audit established that some councillors were grabbing land, while in some instances tender procedures were not being followed.
The councillors were set to appear before a tribunal two weeks after their suspension but that has not occurred.
Last Thursday, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing, Engineer George Mlilo, said the Government would announce its position this week.
“We’re almost there, I’m sure there will be some statement early next (this) week. We’re going to give a holistic statement,” said Eng Mlilo.
The suspensions came in the wake of revelations that the local authority is owed more than $500 000 in illegal land deals involving councillors who have been accumulating vast tracts of land at residents’ expense.
Last week, Bulawayo Town Clerk Mr Christopher Dube said this month the municipality would respond to Government corruption allegations against the local authority.
Mr Dube urged residents to be patient and wait for due processes to be conducted instead of making conclusions on matters that are still being investigated.
His remarks follow a recent decision by some Zanu-PF youths to stage a demonstration against Clr Banda.— @ nqotshili.