SA jailbreak suspect re-arrested
ONE of the five dangerous Zimbabwean criminals who last week escaped from police custody at Musina Police Station in South Africa, has been re-arrested.
Bruce Hungwane (26), who was facing a rape charge, was re-arrested in Musina on Friday night following a tip-off.
Hungwane, together with four suspects who are still at large, was awaiting trial.
South African police spokesperson for Limpopo Province Lieutenant Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe said Hungwane will soon appear at Musina Magistrate’s Court on a charge of escaping from lawful custody.
“We have re-arrested Bruce Hungwane who was part of the five criminals that escaped from police custody in Musina. He was arrested in Musina following a tip-off. We have also intensified the manhunt for the remaining four who are still on the run,” said Lt Col Ngoepe.
He said they were working Zimbabwean police on the manhunt.
“We have roped in our Zimbabwean counterparts to assist us in hunting for the four escapees as there are fears that they could have escaped back to Zimbabwe through illegal crossing points. We urge anyone with information on the whereabouts of these escapees to contact Brigadier James Espach on +27 82 576 0743 or utilise our 24-hour crime stop number 0860010111,” said the police spokesperson.
The quintet is linked to a series of murder, armed robbery and housebreaking cases committed in the neighbouring country.
The other four escapees are John Job Ndlovu (23) who is facing a murder charge, Samuel Lucky Tawanda Masotsha (21), an armed robbery suspect and two teenagers who could not be named for legal reasons.
The two minors who are both aged 18 are facing charges of theft from a motor vehicle and unlawful entry.
Lt Col Ngoepe said under South African law, anyone who is under 21 years is considered a minor, hence he could not name the two teenagers.
The five escapees broke out of the cells through a brick wall a week ago.
The quintet was supposed to appear in court last week.— @mashnets.
Cattle graze fresh roadside grass along the Bulawayo-Harare highway, posing a hazard to motorists. The Government and Traffic Safety Council of Zimbabwe are erecting a fence along the BulawayoGweru highway, a situation that will result in reduced accidents and loss of livestock. — (Picture by Eliah Saushoma)