Cosafa U20 preps begin
THE Zimbabwe Under-20 Cosafa Championship squad troops into camp in Harare today as preparations for next month’s tournament begin in earnest.
The PPC bankrolled tournament, making a return since 2013, will be held from December 7-16 at the Mogwase and Moruleng Stadiums in South Africa.
Coach Mandla Mpofu last week called up a 38 member squad that will be trimmed down to 20 as camp dates progress.
The squad dominated by Harare City players will be headlined by Highlanders’ young striker Prince Dube.
“The team will go into camp on today and stay there up until departure for the championships,” said Zifa communications manager Xolisani Gwesela.
Coaches Mpofu and his right hand man Biggie Zuze will be expected to have an eagle’s eye on the boys during camp and come up with a balanced and strong squad, ahead of departure, tentatively set for December 5.
Zimbabwe will be hoping to bring the cup home, having last won it in 2007, beating hosts South Africa 3-0.
“We must be having 25 players by Tuesday. The final list of 20 must be submitted to the organisers on December 2,” said coach Mpofu.