Childen suffer diarrhoea at church
AN estimated 50 children reportedly suffered severe diarrhoea after a suspected food poisoning during a church gathering that was held in Luveve in Bulawayo last week, Sunday News has established.
Although church officials declined to comment, some of the children had to be rushed to Mpilo Central Hospital where they were treated and discharged. The children were attending the Jubilee Conference, an annual gathering of youths from the Assemblies of God Church.
Mpilo Central Hospital clinical director Mr Solwayo Ngwenya said although he could not tell how many people were affected as some did not seek medical attention, four cases from the conference were reported at the institution.
Sunday News also visited the church offices in Luveve where officials said they were not going to comment on the incident.
“Go and tell whoever sent you that we will not talk about that, it is none of your business,” said an official at the church premises in Luveve.
However, some parents whose children attended the conference said trouble started after the children ate rice, soup, potato salad and chicken.
“Soon after the meal many started complaining about stomach problems. Some started vomiting and I think at least 50 children got sick,” said a parent who asked not to be named.
Mrs Fikile Maphosa, a resident of Luveve said when her younger sister came from the conference she was weak.
“When my sister came home from the conference she was weak, she vomited and at times fainted. We had to take her to Mpilo Hospital where she was treated,” she said.
A child who attended the conference but could not be named said she was taken to Mpilo Central Hospital where doctors put her on drip as she had lost a lot of fluids through running stomach and vomiting.