Bosso out of Chibuku Cup

Sunday News (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page -

Harare City FC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 High­landers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0 WILLIAM MANONDO con­tin­ued with his fine run of form in the Chibuku Su­per Cup as he scored his 13th goal of the tour­na­ment to pro­pel Harare City Foot­ball Club into the semi-fi­nals.

Manondo headed in Gareth Mad­haike’s cor­ner-kick in the 28th minute to dou­ble Harare City’s lead af­ter Wil­fred Mu­vir­imi had put the hosts ahead just six min­utes ear­lier.

High­landers missed a penalty in the 10th minute when Adrian Silla’s ef­fort was saved by City ’keeper Max­well Nyamu­pange­dengu.

Harare City coach Mark Har­ri­son was de­lighted with the re­sult, prais­ing Manondo for his pur­ple patch.

“The boy’s form in the Chibuku Su­per Cup shocks me. I am de­lighted with the win though we were forced to de­fend, but that is how cup games are,” he said.

His op­po­site, Madinda Ndlovu, blamed Bosso’s loss on goal­keeper Ariel Sibanda and his de­fend­ers.

“We played a team which has a lot of ex­pe­ri­ence, but we con­ceded soft goals; the first goal be­ing from the near post which is a crime in foot­ball — the keeper could have done bet­ter.

“The sec­ond goal was a free header and again the de­fend­ers could have done bet­ter. But at the end of the day I think that penalty miss was the turn­ing point in our quest to win the match,” said Ndlovu.

High­landers had an op­por­tu­nity to surge ahead in the 10th minute when

Nigel Makumbe was brought down by Learn­more


Ref­eree Ruzive did not hes­i­tate to point to the spot but High­landers cen­tral mid­fielder

Silla’s spot-kick was saved by Nyamu­pane­dengu.

Harare City, who were forced to de­fend deeply in the early stages of the match, scored their first through Mu­vir­imi af­ter 22 min­utes.

Manondo then dou­bled Harare City’s lead, and the vis­i­tors came close to re­duc­ing the ar­rears in the 42nd minute but Gabriel Ny­oni failed to con­vert from close range. Four min­utes af­ter the break, Brian Banda un­leashed a pow­er­ful strike from 35-yards only to be de­nied by the up­right.

Then High­landers for­ward Tafadzwa Sibanda saw his ef­fort cleared off the line by City cen­tre-back Hast­ings Cha­pusha in the 52nd minute.

Harare City play­ers cel­e­brate William Manondo’sgoal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.