Xmas Day binge short­lived

The Manica Post - - The Weekender - Week­ender Cor­re­spon­dent

TWO Dangamvura men who robbed a ven­dor of her US$180 and smart­phone on Christ­mas Day and spent the money away braai­ing at a beer­hall min­utes later have been re­manded in cus­tody.

Abel Dube (19) and Vin­cent Maponde (21) both de­nied the theft charges when they ap­peared be­fore Mutare mag­is­trate Miss Per­se­ver­ance Makala on Thurs­day. Their trial is on­go­ing.

An­other ac­com­plice, Ton­derai Muk­wena, who is al­leged to have helped the pair in com­mit­ting the crime is still at large. Mr Brighton Shamu­yarira pros­e­cuted. Al­le­ga­tions were that the three met Jane Nyan­doro (43), who was car­ry­ing her bas­ket and some gro­ceries along a nar­row path in Dangamvura. They snatched Nyan­doro’s wal­let which had US$180 and a Sam­sung Galaxy S4 smart­phone which is worth $360.

“When Nyan­doro re­alised that she no longer had her wal­let with her, she asked the trio who ve­he­mently de­nied ever see­ing the wal­let and even helped her search for it in the grass. They then parted ways with Nyan­doro who pro­ceeded to her home,” said Mr Shamu­yarira.

Some 30 min­utes later, how­ever, Nyan­doro was tipped off by Maud Mu­tumwa who told her that the trio had stolen her wal­let and that they were boast­ing about it and buy­ing beer at the lo­cal beer­hall.

She pro­ceeded to the beer­hall where she found Dube, Maponde and Muk­wena in the butch­ery buy­ing a large amount of meat that they in­tended to braai.

Muk­wena man­aged to es­cape, while the pair was ap­pre­hended.

In the com­pany of po­lice of­fi­cers, the pair led Nyan­doro to Dube’s home where they al­leged Muk­wena had left the money. Dube’s mother told them that Muk­wena had come and col­lected the money. The smart­phone was re­cov­ered from Muk­wena’s mother.

In their de­fence, the pair in­sisted that Muk­wena was the one who had stolen the wal­let and that they did not know un­til they reached the beer­hall and he started buy­ing beer and meat to braai for ev­ery­one at the bar. Only the smart­phone was re­cov­ered. Of the US$180, noth­ing was re­cov­ered.

The the duo was re­manded in cus­tody to Jan­uary 16, 2018 for con­tin­u­a­tion of trial.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.