10 ac­cused of in­cit­ing clashes with po­lice in Pingdu; 34 hurt

China Daily (Latin America Weekly) - - China - By ZHANG YAN [email protected]­nadaily.com.cn

Pub­lic se­cu­rity au­thor­i­ties have ac­cused 10 peo­ple of as­sault­ing po­lice of­fi­cers and dam­ag­ing cars dur­ing an in­ci­dent that in­jured 34 peo­ple in Shan­dong province in early Oc­to­ber, Xin­hua News Agency re­ported on Sun­day.

The sus­pects, all un­em­ployed from the city of Pingdu, were de­tained, ac­cord­ing to the re­port, which said they face charges of ob­struct­ing po­lice, in­ten­tional in­jury, in­cit­ing crowds to dis­rupt pub­lic or­der and pro­vok­ing trou­ble.

The move comes af­ter vi­o­lence in Pingdu on Oct 5 and 6, when hun­dreds of peo­ple gath­ered un­der the ban­ner of “mil­i­tary vet­er­ans”, Xin­hua said. It added that the main sus­pects have com­plex back­grounds, and some have crim­i­nal records for “rob­bery, fraud, drug abuse and pick­ing a quar­rel”.

Po­lice said their in­ves­ti­ga­tion found that the sus­pects had spo­ken on the phone and in WeChat mes­sages, from Sept 30 to Oct 4, about a plan to travel to Bei­jing to launch an il­le­gal pe­ti­tion dur­ing the Na­tional Day hol­i­day, the Xin­hua re­port said, with­out elab­o­rat­ing on the rea­son for the pe­ti­tion.

When the Pingdu gov­ern­ment in­ter­vened, mem­bers of the group claimed they had been beaten by ju­di­cial of­fi­cials. They fab­ri­cated in­for­ma­tion and re­leased fake videos in WeChat groups to at­tract pub­lic at­ten­tion, ac­cord­ing to Xin­hua.

Be­tween the early hours of Oct 5 and noon the next day, some 300 peo­ple from more than six re­gions, in­clud­ing An­hui, Jiangsu, He­nan and Liaon­ing prov­inces, con­verged on a city square in Pingdu, where they held ban­ners and shouted slo­gans, re­sult­ing in ma­jor traf­fic dis­rup­tion, the re­port said.

The sus­pects are also ac­cused of hir­ing oth­ers to take 105 wooden sticks, 60 sledge­ham­mers, 45 pick­axes and 16 dry­pow­der fire ex­tin­guish­ers to the square.

Dur­ing the in­ci­dent, gov­ern­ment and Party of­fi­cials were sent to talk with demon­stra­tors and lis­tened to their ap­peals, dur­ing which the chief sus­pects asked for eco­nomic com­pen­sa­tion and re­fused to leave, Xin­hua said.

On Oct 6, the 10 sus­pects led a group of 60 peo­ple with wooden sticks and fire ex­tin­guish­ers in a con­fronta­tion with po­lice, fir­ing dry power that caused sev­eral of­fi­cers to ex­pe­ri­ence breath­ing dif­fi­cul­ties. The group also as­saulted of­fi­cers and smashed four po­lice ve­hi­cles, the re­port said.

The vi­o­lence lasted for 11 min­utes, re­sult­ing in in­juries to 34 po­lice of­fi­cers and cit­i­zens. Among the ca­su­al­ties were two po­lice of­fi­cers from Qing­dao, who suf­fered rib frac­tures and in­tracra­nial bleed­ing.

Ac­cord­ing to the Min­istry of Pub­lic Se­cu­rity, the vi­o­lence se­ri­ously af­fected so­cial or­der and peo­ple’s liveli­hoods, caus­ing 104 shop­ping malls and su­per­mar­kets to close their doors, and forc­ing 960 buses to ad­just their routes, re­sult­ing in eco­nomic losses of up to 8.2 mil­lion yuan ($1.19 mil­lion), Xin­hua re­ported.

“This in­ci­dent was an or­ga­nized, planned and pre­med­i­tated vi­o­lent crime that se­ri­ously harmed peo­ple’s hu­man rights, en­dan­gered pub­lic safety and dis­rupted so­cial or­der. It had an ex­tremely bad so­cial im­pact,” the min­istry was quoted as say­ing in the re­port.

It urged cit­i­zens to obey the law and ex­press pe­ti­tions through le­gal and rea­son­able means. Po­lice will res­o­lutely crack down on il­le­gal be­hav­iors to main­tain so­cial or­der and guar­an­tee the safety of lives and prop­erty, it said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Argentina

© PressReader. All rights reserved.