From concept to on set
Breaking down stephan Fleet’s ‘concept previs’ for a crucial shot in season 2 of timeless
1. Concept: The scene from episode 206 sees the ‘Time’ team exit their time machine Lifeboat in the countryside. I started with this rough guide (see image).
2. Previs: In Cinema 4D, I built a model of what needed to be constructed on set for the shooting of the scene.
3. Bluescreen: The concept previs also helped work out where to position bluescreens and what parts of the blue, faux-lifeboat were needed on location.
4. CG model: The Lifeboat would ultimately be all-cg. This kind of planning helped work out how we were going to shoot what was a very long shot: 54 seconds.
5. on set: Here’s what was built for filming on location, enabling the actors to step out of the centre hole.