FFor­ever Young no match for Crazy

Albany Extra - - Sport - Des Beeck

Fly­ing Fif­teen skip­pers and crews never miss an op­por­tu­nity to get out on the wa­ter, even if it takes a great amount of time to get their speedy lit­tle boats ready to sail.

They are the most con­sis­tent sailors at Princess Royal Sail­ing Club and last Satur­day the hus­band-and-wife ri­valry con­tin­ued.

Si­mon Lu­cas had FFor­ever Young out in front early in their fly­ing start har­bour course race and he spent much of his time try­ing to shake off a just-as-de­ter­mined Aileen Lu­cas in Crazy. FFor­ever Young was the leader through­out but needed to be fur­ther in front to have any chance of a vic­tory.

It was all to no avail, as Crazy kept on his tail for the du­ra­tion and was al­ways go­ing to win on hand­i­cap.

The weather was a fac­tor as the south-east­erly, at around 12 knots, suited the diminu­tive skip­per of Crazy.

Si­mon Lu­cas had to be con­tent with his sec­ond plac­ing and fastest time in yet an­other stir­ring en­counter be­tween these two fine sailors.

Divi­sion 1 sailed a King Ge­orge Sound race, and at 26 nau­ti­cal miles, it is one of the longest events on the sail­ing cal­en­dar. A fleet of four be­gan at noon and the early leader was Mur­ray How­son in Sit­ting Bull who, mov­ing quickly, was fol­lowed not far be­hind by Mur­ray Deere in Wild One.

Fur­ther back, Harold Keay in Shagab­ull and Mitchell Spaan­der­man in Crunchtime were hav­ing their own lit­tle match race, with noth­ing much sep­a­rat­ing them.

Sit­ting Bull was still lead­ing as the fleet en­tered the har­bour, with Wild Bull hav­ing closed the gap and look­ing good for a top plac­ing.

How­son crossed the line first but didn’t fea­ture in the ma­jor plac­ings be­cause of his large hand­i­cap and could only record fastest time in a fine ef­fort. Wild One took the race on hand­i­cap after chas­ing Sit­ting Bull for more than four hours.

Keay was able to get through Crunchtime to record sec­ond place, which was a great per­for­mance con­sid­er­ing he had only two crew, and Spaan­der­man was de­lighted to fin­ish up in third plac­ing. Divi­sion 2 also sailed in a KGS race and a fleet of three com­peted in a shorter event than divi­sion 1.

Joker, skip­pered by Josh Hughes, es­tab­lished an early lead, fol­lowed closely by Gary Ea­ton in Farr Star.

Zuri, sailed by Neil Wor­rell, be­gan slowly and it was a case of catch-up all af­ter­noon.

Zuri had won on the last two oc­ca­sions and was on a hat-trick so this was an im­por­tant race for Wor­rell.

He man­aged to make in­roads on the lead­ers as the in­ter­est was fo­cused on Ea­ton, who had moved right up on Hughes in Joker.

Hughes kept his cool and went on to cross the line first, but with a big hand­i­cap could only man­age third and fastest.

Zuri had done enough on hand­i­cap to take top hon­ours, giv­ing Wor­rell the rare dis­tinc­tion of a hat-trick. Ea­ton, hav­ing sailed one of his bet­ter races, was sec­ond.

The mixed dinghies sailed a har­bour course race and Robert Cronin in his Laser, The Ital­ian Job, proved his sail­ing had im­proved im­mensely to win eas­ily.

Sec­ond place went to a 125, Venom, skip­pered by Karen Tim­mins, who re­cov­ered well from a frus­trat­ing start and third place was a Mir­ror called Twixta skip­pered by the im­prov­ing Wil­liam Wise.

Pic­ture: Des Beeck

The win­ner, Crazy, skip­pered by Aileen Lu­cas stays close to Si­mon Lu­cas in FFor­ever Young.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.