NSW haulage firms transform timber haulage operations with Trimble Forestry’s logistics solution
In 2015, a consortium of three haulage contractors working for Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) commissioned a white paper study to benchmark current haulage productivity within their fleets.
The data was modelled to gain an insight into potential initiatives that could increase fleet productivity. The recommendation was that a possible increase of 4 – 7% on loaded running could be achieved if they shifted away from a Harvest and Haul operation, collaborated and moved towards a Central Dispatch model.
In 2016, FCNSW decided to award the haulage consortium the cartage for the entire hardwood estate provided they meet a number of key objectives for improving the overall supply chain process. These were identified as:
• Visibility - Real-time visibility of the supply chain allowing for them and their stakeholders to make informed and timely decisions
• Control - Management tools that allow for more effective control of the overall process and its individual parts
• Maximise Value Eliminate or minimise elements of the process that lead to suboptimal value recovery
• Streamlined Data Management - Minimise overhead in managing data required for and derived from, the log supply process, including paperless E-ticket
• Proven Technology - A partner with specific domain focus and commitment to research and development, aligned with consortiums strategic objectives for operational excellence
• Chain of Responsibility – The tools to actively manage the haulage fleets legal requirements under OH&S, Chain of Responsibility and Fatigue Management rules
Trimble Forestry’s Wood Supply Execution (WSX) system was deployed to manage the Central Dispatch operation and to ensure the requirements of both the haulage companies and the FCNSW were met.
Trimble’s WSX solution is designed specifically for planning and executing the woodflow process for log harvest and haulage operations. WSX facilitates tight control over the uplift and delivery of logs and provides end-to-end visibility of the timber supply process, including web access and reporting.
Dramatic rise in efficiency
In the first 12 months of the new operation, truck utilisation and efficiency increased significantly with the average percentage of loaded kilometres increasing by upwards of 10+%.
The flow-on effect has been that the consortium has been able to control haulage costs, move logs from bush to mill in a more timely fashion with the flow-on effect allowing FCNSW to capture improved market opportunities by moving a greater volume of logs with fewer trucks. For the haulage contractors the improved productivity of their fleets resulted in increased investment into their operations and a more profitable business.
“The key reason for the program’s success was the way in which the haulage firms involved themselves in the design of the new logistics service model in conjunction with Forestry NSW, its customers and Trimble Forestry,” said Tony Johnson, Sales and Distribution Manager for Forestry Corporation of NSW.
Trimble Logistics solutions empowered the consortium and FCNSW managers to responsively control their fibre supply operations to mitigate risk, optimize production, and increase efficiency. Stakeholders have improved their competitive advantage within the market they operate, and improve the value of the underlying forest asset.
“It has become much easier to balance truck capacity requirements when trucks might otherwise have been parked or logging operations and mills could fall short of their uplift or delivery needs,” said Lisa Hoffman, Operations Manager for Hoffmans Haulage Pty Ltd.
Development of WSX has been driven by customers who are immersed in the forestry supply chain challenge. It has been specifically geared to support these stakeholders to do their jobs, to track log production and inventories and schedule log haulage fleets for uplift and delivery to meet customer priorities.
The solution not only includes comprehensive tracking and alerting but a range of tools including proactive fatigue management, and a customisable OH&S suite. These have been designed to meet the Chain of Responsibility requirements of the Australian heavy transport industry while monitoring and reporting, in real time, on a driver’s behaviour and conformance.
Today, Trimble Forestry Logistics provide logistics systems and/or services for timber haulage operations delivering over 50 million tonnes annually to facilities in Australasia, Europe and North America. Customers range from haulage contractor cooperatives to international forestry companies.
In Australasia - Trimble Forestry Logistics is providing Central Dispatch services to a number of large forestry companies and haulage companies including consortiums of haulage contractors which operate under a range of logistics models (Harvest and Haul to a fully managed Central Dispatch service).
While each of the stakeholders had a different motive for implementing the Central Dispatch Management System they all recognise the key objectives that underpin their ability to plan, control, and manage their operations, including;
• Control uplift and delivery options by Contractor &/or Operation
• Comprehensive web reporting platform providing real time visibility of operating metrics (plan v actual), to contractors and stakeholders,
• Mobile application for truck driver and/or loader operator on in-cab device
• Paperless E-ticket solution that provides traceability for all users, integrates with their enterprise solutions and has a comprehensive reporting suite.
• Integrated In-Cab Technology (ICTS) and Chain of Responsibility support
Trimble Forestry offers land, forest and fibre management solutions that improve the productivity and operations for some of the world’s most recognized integrated forest product companies, forest land owners, timberland investment, conservation, state and federal departments as well as international food processing companies involved in environmental, social and economic land management.
The Connected Forest solutions manage the full raw materials lifecycle of planning, planting, growing, harvesting, transporting and processing. WSX is a key component of the Connected Forest portfolio.
The Connected Forest allows forestry businesses to transform data and processes into strategic actions that promote new thinking, collaborative industry approaches and intelligent workflows.
■ Forestry Corporation NSW logging site.
■ Hoffmans Haulage ... ”easier to balance truck capacity
■ 31 metre pole at South Grafton.