2 BOTANY BAY, NSW
The first of Cook’s landings in Australia, Botany Bay was initially called Sting-Ray Harbour – for obvious reasons – in his journals. Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, Endeavour’s botanists, collected so many plants there, however, that Cook changed the name. Its swampy nature led governor Arthur Phillip, when he landed in HMS Supply in 1788, to abandon it as a home for his new colony, heading to Port Jackson and what is now Sydney Harbour. Botany Bay wasn’t settled until well into the next century.