Do you need a li­cence ?

Australian Geographic - - Geo Buzz -

There are two cat­e­gories of drone use in Aus­tralia: COM­MER­CIAL and RECRE­ATIONAL.

Pi­lots of com­mer­cial drones (2kg+) must hold a re­mote pilot li­cence and have an op­er­a­tor’s cer­tifi­cate (or be em­ployed by some­one who has one).

Drones un­der 2kg and used for com­mer­cial pur­poses can fly in the ‘ex­cluded’ cat­e­gory but must regis­ter de­tails with the Civil Avi­a­tion Safety Author­ity (CASA).

Recre­ational drones don’t re­quire reg­is­tra­tion or a li­cence. Note: Strictly speak­ing the word ‘drone’ refers to a fully au­ton­o­mous craft that op­er­ates with­out out­side guid­ance.

The craft that are com­monly re­ferred to as drones to­day are ac­tu­ally Re­motely Pi­loted Air­craft Sys­tems (RPAS).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.