Parched winter fuels fast-moving grassfires
Hazardous after dry winter
FIREFIGHTERS in St George have battled their second grassfire in as many weeks after responding to a small burning near Albert St on Monday.
This has prompted warnings about the risk of fires due to very dry conditions.
St George have battled their second grassfire in as many weeks after responding to a small burn near Albert St on Monday.
Two crews responded to the emergency about 12.40pm, spending roughly two hours battling a fire on a large patch of grass.
First responders set up back burning operations immediately after reaching the fire before it was brought under control by 1.15pm.
Firefighters left the scene about 2.45pm.
Acting Inspector Chris Martial of the Goondiwindi area command said residents could expect more grassfires throughout the region due to the severe lack of rainfall in the Balonne.
“The fire season has come on a lot earlier than normal so we’re starting to see quite large fires where we normally haven’t seen them in the past,” he said.
“This is mainly due to the lack of a wet winter, bringing with it less moisture in the earth.”
While there is no suggestion the grassfire was caused by a campfire,
Insp Martial said everyone should be wary when camping to mitigate the risk of sparking a grassfire.
“If people are camping, make sure your campfire is not left unattended due to the dry conditions we are experiencing or a fire might spread quickly,” he said.
Fire bans have already been implemented in some areas of Queensland, with Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford urging locals to exercise extreme caution.
“Machinery such as tractors, slashers, welders and grinders can start grassfires, so anyone undertaking work around their property needs to do so with extreme caution,” Mr Crawford said.
“If you need to undertake these activities during dry conditions, you need to have appropriate resources to extinguish a fire if one starts.”
BURNING: Prompt action from Fire and Rescue Services prevented a grassfire in St George from spreading.