RENOVATION at a glance... TIPS
• To rejuvenate timber window frames, lightly sand frames and wipe away dust. Apply undercoat using a paintbrush. Once dry, apply topcoat. Let dry. If using dark-coloured topcoat, buy tinted undercoat for better topcoat performance.
• Removing old fixtures on the walls, ceiling and floor? Turn power and water off at the main source. If planning to remove or change position of water supply, hot water service or electricity points, call a professional.
• You’ll need to repair walls, including filling small holes, before painting. Just sand the dry filler smooth and wash walls with sugar soap solution. Let dry.
• Clear the space of appliances and other unwanted fittings, such as an old laundry tub. If not reusing the same tub or appliances, sell online. If unusable, arrange for recycling.
• To repaint walls, apply undercoat to clean, dry surfaces. Once undercoat is dry, apply 2–3 coats of specially formulated wet-area paint, here in bright white. Let dry after each coat.
Clear out the space
Remove old fixtures