EASY step-by-steps TO ABOVE-BED STORAGE
Utilise the space above your bed for much-needed wall-to-wall storage – great for seasonal clothing and bedding, books and personal effects. Go flat pack and save! Order raw board doors, which you can then personalise with arched fascias and paint, as here. Flat-pack wall cabinets and raw board doors, Kaboodle Kitchen.
Gather your supplies
Flat-pack wall cabinets, configured to suit space
• 3mm MDF sheets
• Raw board doors
• Dulux Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer Dulux Aquanamel Low Gloss in Vivid White and Sky Painting
You’ll also need
Tape measure; drill and bits; screws; spirit level; wall fasteners; pencil; jigsaw; dust mask; clamps; PVA glue; mini paint rollers; paint tray; push-open door hinges
FOR YOU TO NOTE
• Measure wall width and height to calculate number and size of flat-pack wall cabinets required.
• Wall units used for this project: four 600W x 720H x 300mmd; two 450W x 720H x 300mmd; four 900W x 360H x 300mmd.
• Kaboodle Kitchen cuts to measure selected flat-pack cabinets for a bespoke look.
• Let paint dry between coats.
STEP 1 Assemble all wall units minus the doors. Secure them to wall and to each other as per your chosen configuration.
STEP 2 Draw various arched designs onto MDF to suit width and height of door fronts (see picture, page 92). Cut out designs with jigsaw, and cut again to create a seamless ‘join’ between upper and lower doors.
STEP 3 Glue MDF cut-outs onto raw board door fronts for a 3D raised effect.
STEP 4 Roll primer onto doors, front and back. Finish with
2 coats of low-gloss paint.
STEP 5 Highlight the 3D effect by painting glued-on MDF sections in Sky Painting (a grey).
STEP 6 Attach doors to cabinets with hinges.