Stung by deadly jellyfish
A Broome childcare worker has told of the crippling pain she experienced after being stung by a potentially deadly Irukandji jellyfish, which led to the closure of a packed Cable Beach last week.
Speaking from Broome Hospital last Wednesday, Rhiannon Petticrew, 20, said she went swimming at the beach with friends about 8am.
“I just felt a stinging pain on my chest and got out of the water,” Ms Petticrew said. “About 10 minutes later my whole body started to ache, I couldn’t walk properly and I had chest pains and I was struggling to do anything.”
Friends were quick to drive her to hospital.
“It was probably one of the worst pains I have ever come across,” Ms Petticrew, who has lived in Broome for 19 years, said. “I didn’t necessarily think I was going to die, but it was a very bad pain — my whole body was aching.”
Ms Petticrew said she did not collapse on the beach in the minutes after she made it back to shore. “It wasn’t what I was expecting because I was looking for proper tentacle marks like the lines the jellyfish usually leave but it just left a big red patch over my chest and on my back,” she said.
“It was different to what I was expecting it to be or what I was looking for in the first place.”
A spokesperson for WA Country Health confirmed she had been treated for a suspected Irukandji sting.
Cable Beach was closed on Sunday after another confirmed Irukandji sting and was reopened on Monday morning.