REBECCA LANG, NATUROPATH, BARGARA BEACH HOLISTIC HEALTH CENTRE
Naturopath Rebecca Lang gives healthy tips for looking and feeling your best this summer.
IF YOU are wanting to shed a few extra kilos before you start lazing around the beach and wearing less clothes, then here are a few tips to get you started.
1. We all love our daily coffee but how about removing the milk for a few weeks, and the sugar or sweetener. That way you are not sacrificing your caffeine kick but you are dropping some extra calories.
2. Drink Green Tea. Green Tea is not only a powerful antioxidant but it also has research to assist with weight loss. It contains bioactive substances that can assist you to burn calories, even while resting. If you are using a tea bag then you do need 5 cups per day for effective therapeutic dosages.
3. Try one of our Individualised Protein Powders. This is not just any protein powder but one that does not have all the fillers, numbers, colours, milk solids etc in there. Many protein powders are actually causing more problems due to the ingredients. We compound protein powders and individualise to the person’s particular health needs. They are all natural and taste good too.
4. Consider further investigation. Have you looked at blood tests for your thyroid, including thyroid anti-bodies, blood sugar, hormones, cortisol levels etc? Medicare does not cover certain tests, especially if other tests are showing as “normal”. Our team of qualified naturopaths and nutritionists can do the testing for you through pathology (not covered with Medicare but at a low cost).
5. Support the liver. When your weight plateaus it may mean that you need to support the liver and do a detox. Toxins are stored in the fat cells so this is an essential part of any weight loss program to reduce oxidative stress.
6. Reduce your meal size and calories is a pretty obvious one but we often see people with a very healthy diet but just having way too many calories. Be conscious of the overall amount of calories you are having each day – from food and drink items.
Invest in a Personal Trainer if you can but otherwise start of an exercise program that includes weight training. Each person’s body is different and some people do find either cardio or weight training work best for them. A combination of both five days a week would be great. All movement is better than no movement but don’t think that a slow, gentle walk is going to be enough to move years of unhealthy food choices.
We now have a drop in clinic at Bargara Beach Holistic Health Centre where you can chat to one of our qualified team of naturopaths and nutritionists and access a script for the right supplements for you.
You can also book a full consultation by calling the clinic on 4159 1834, booking through the Facebook page or through the website at https://www.healthandhealing.net.au/online-bookings/.
START TODAY: Preparing your summer body is that much easier by remembering to be healthy.