Sol­dier gets it in the neck

Campaspe News - - NEWS -

Oc­to­ber 12, 1918

Mar­ried While Pris­oner of War. WE HAVE re­ceived from Mr. Thomas Bun­bury, of Bal­len­della, some in­ter­est­ing news­pa­per con­cern­ing his cousin, Cap­tain R. W. Thomas. Cap­tain Thomas was se­verely wounded in the throat at Mons, and for over two years was a pris­oner of war in Ger­many. Upon ar­range­ments be­ing made for the trans­fer of in­valid sol­diers to Switzer­land, Cap­tain Thomas was one of those re­leased from Ger­many, on con­di­tion of be­ing in­terned un­til the end of the war. Dur­ing his in­tern­ment in Switzer­land, he was mar­ried to Miss Florence Gol­bourn Tarry, daugh­ter of Ma­jor G. G. Tarry, the bride elect leav­ing Leeds and go­ing to Switzer­land for the cer­e­mony. A fur­ther in­ter­est­ing fea­ture about the clip­pings is Cap­tain Thomas’ con­fir­ma­tion of Ger­man bru­tal­ity to war pris­on­ers, even the wounded.

‘‘Be­fore the train started,’’ he says, ‘‘some Ger­man sol­diers came and searched me, and in do­ing so knocked me around rather badly, while a Ger­man Red Cross man stood and ap­plauded them, and said if they found a knife on me he would cut my throat with it... The Ger­man Red Cross peo­ple at the sta­tions were par­tic­u­larly bad. One night in the rain the tube in my throat be­came nearly stopped up, and I could scarcely breathe, so the Un­terof­fizier in charge called a doc­tor who was on the train, and he came and poked at it with a piece of stick he had cut out of the hedge by the line.’’ The un­for­tu­nate victin gen­er­ously adds that this rough treat­ment ‘‘freed my res­pi­ra­tion a lit­tle.’’

Oc­to­ber 11, 1988

El­more Field Days pros­per in 25th year OR­GAN­IS­ERS, ex­hib­iters, vis­i­tors; they all agreed — last week’s El­more and Dis­trict Ma­chin­ery Field Days were a great suc­cess.

More than 40,000 peo­ple vis­ited Ayson’s Re­serve on the banks of the Cam­paspe River for the field day’s sil­ver an­niver­sary; prob­a­bly the last time the event will be staged at this site.

Field days ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer Ron Trewick said the ex­hibitors had ‘‘put on a mighty dis­play’’ and were be­com­ing more and more pro­fes­sional about their sites and the dis­plays they pre­sented. Mr Trewick said 10,000 peo­ple at­tended the field days on the Tues­day, 14,500 vis­ited on the Wed­nes­day and 16,250 on the Thurs­day.

He said the pat­tern of the field days had changed in the past three or four years and Thurs­day had be­come the big­gest day, when in the past Wed­nes­day had usu­ally pro­vided the best crowd.

More than 400 ex­hibitors brought their ma­chin­ery, elec­tri­cal goods, prod­ucts and ser­vices to El­more for the farm­ing com­mu­nity to see.

Lind­say Hazel­man, Ch­eryl Hazel­man, Bruce Wells and Bruce Hussey mak­ing daisy chains in their Hume St gardens. This photo was taken by Frank Boyle in the 1950s and was kindly brought in by Ch­eryl Anderson (nee Hazel­man). If you have a photo for Re­flec­tions, bring it into the of­fice be­tween 9am-3pm or email it to ed­i­to­rial@cam­paspe­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.