Fine shock for faulty adap­tor

Canning Gazette - - NEWS -

A CAN­NING­TON re­tailer has been fined $5000 for sell­ing a po­ten­tially fa­tal travel adap­tor.

PC Mas­ter Pty Ltd, trad­ing as itech, did not at­tend Perth Mag­is­trates Court on Oc­to­ber 9, where it was found guilty of breach­ing the Elec­tric­ity Act.

The court was told in­spec­tors from Build­ing and En­ergy at­tended PC Mas­ter’s itech mo­bile phone re­pair and ac­ces­sory store at Carousel shop­ping cen­tre in May 2018. The in­spec­tors iden­ti­fied an in­ter­na­tional travel adap­tor for sale that did not have the elec­tri­cal safety cer­ti­fi­ca­tion re­quired for it to be sold in Aus­tralia.

It also had unin­su­lated pins, which are banned in WA for al­most all elec­tri­cal ap­pli­ances and equip­ment.

En­ergy safety direc­tor Saj Ab­doolakhan urged con­sumers and re­tail­ers to stop us­ing or sell­ing the adap­tor, which has a green tab and comes in blue pack­ag­ing with a pix­e­lated graphic, a tick logo and the word ‘ROHS’. “Unin­su­lated pins are very dan­ger­ous and have led to elec­tric shock deaths from contact with the live metal pins when a de­vice is plugged in,” Mr Ab­doolakhan said. “Out­let de­vices are classed as high-risk equip­ment and must have an of­fi­cial cer­ti­fi­ca­tion mark and ap­proval num­ber show­ing they have been ap­proved for sale.” PC Mas­ter was also or­dered to pay costs of $766.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.