TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. Oceania is a group of countries and territories in which ocean?
2. After a 40-year ban, which country recently permitted the opening of a commercial cinema (a) Israel (b) Saudi Arabia (c) Ukraine?
3. How many Australians finished in the top three places in the 2017 women’s world surfing championship?
4. In Celsius, what is the equivalent of 212 degrees Fahrenheit (a) 0 degrees (b) 100 degrees (c) 200 degrees?
5. In 1856, the eight-hour day in Australia was first awarded to (a) brewery workers (b) carpenters (c) stonemasons?
6. With its recent 636th episode, which animated TV show surpassed Gunsmoke with the most episodes of a prime-time scripted series?
7. Comments such as “they’re so dumb”, “disgusting clowns” and “I’ve got a really good doctor you could go to that could fix your ugly face” led to the recent dumping of two contestants on which TV cooking show?
8. Which two networks recently signed a six-year $1.2 billion deal to televise Australian cricket?
9. Dying recently at the age of 92 was which 1980s–90s US First Lady?
10. Revered as the foundation site of the Australian Labor Party, the Tree of Knowledge is in which Queensland town?
11. NRL chief Todd Greenberg recently said which Broncos’ contract would not be renewed unless it included a compensation package for the victims of his New York rampage?
12. In which country are the most (about 820) “first languages” spoken (a) China (b) Papua New Guinea (c) USA?
13. The town of Battle, England, was the scene of which 1066 conflict?
14. Which team won the 2017-18 W-League grand final (a) Brisbane Roar (b) Melbourne Victory (c) Sydney FC?
15. In which country were up to 16,000 striking nurses recently sacked (a) Fiji (b) New Zealand (c) Zimbabwe?
16. The banking royal commission recently heard that which bank charged dead clients for financial advice, in one case for a decade?
17. Which Melbourne casino was recently fined $300,000 over the tampering of poker machines?
18. Last year, the Australian Rugby Union changed its name to what?
19. The leaders of which two countries recently shook hands in a demarcation zone between their two countries?
20. Paradise Point is in which Australian state/territory?
21. Name the four houses at the Hogwarts school in the Harry Potter stories.
22. What are the three given names of the new son of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?
1. Pacific Ocean. 2. (b) Saudi Arabia. 3. Three (Tyler Wright, Stephanie Gilmore, Sally Fitzgibbons). 4. (b) 100 degrees. 5. (c) stonemasons. 6. The Simpsons. 7. My Kitchen Rules. 8. Seven Network, Fox Sports. 9. Barbara Bush. 10. Barcaldine. 11. Matt Lodge. 12. (b) Papua New Guinea. 13. Battle of Hastings. 14. (b) Melbourne Victory. 15. (c) Zimbabwe. 16. Commonwealth Bank. 17. Crown. 18. Rugby Australia. 19. North Korea, South Korea. 20. Queensland. 21. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin. 22. Louis Arthur Charles.