Vegan vanilla slice
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed 1 vanilla bean, split
1 litre Soy Milky
1 cup caster sugar
1 1/3 cups cornflour 100g Nuttelex original spread
¼ tsp ground turmeric 1/3 cup icing sugar mixture
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place 1 pastry sheet on each tray. Bake pastry for 15 minutes or until golden, puffed and cooked through. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then gently flatten pastry using your hand. Cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, grease a 6cmdeep, 22cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan.
3. Using a sharp knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Place Soy Milky, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until almost simmering (don’t boil). Set aside for 10 minutes for flavours to infuse. Strain. Discard bean.
4. Place 1 sheet of pastry in prepared pan, trimming sheet if necessary. Place caster sugar and cornflour in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Gradually add Milky mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until smooth and combined. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8–10 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Stir in Nuttelex and turmeric. Working quickly, remove from heat. Spoon hot ‘custard’ mixture over pastry. Top with second pastry sheet, trimming if necessary. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until cold and firm.
5. Remove vanilla slice from pan. Place on a board. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into squares. Serve.