A taste of Japan at home
SLATHER on sweet and sticky teriyaki glaze and get grilling these Japanese skewers.
Street-style chicken skewers SERVES: 4 PREP: 2 hours 20 minutes COOK: 30 minutes Ingredients
10 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm thick strips 1 whole garlic bulb
24 long fresh green chillies 1-2 tbsp olive oil
4 green shallots, cut into 5cm lengths TERIYAKI SAUCE: 125ml (½ cup) mirin 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar 60ml (¼ cup) cooking sake 60ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
2 x 5cm pieces peeled lemon zest JAPANESE SALAD:
2 large Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced on a mandoline
1 tsp sea salt flakes 60ml (¼ cup) rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. To make the teriyaki sauce, combine the mirin, sugar, sake and soy sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Stir for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Stir in the lemon zest. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Place two-thirds of the teriyaki sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with
plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate. Place 12 bamboo skewers in a dish of water and set aside to soak.
3. Meanwhile, preheat an enclosed barbecue on low. Place the garlic bulb on the grill and cook, with barbecue hood closed, for 25 minutes. Add the chillies, close and cook, turning garlic and chillies halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes or until tender. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic out of skins into a small food processor. Cut down the length of each chilli
and deseed. Add the chilli flesh to the processor. Process, adding the oil in a thin, steady stream, until almost smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
4. To make the Japanese salad, place cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes or until cucumber starts to release its juices. Drain then transfer to a serving bowl. Combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a jug and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour dressing over cucumber and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Starting with the shallot, alternately thread shallot and chicken on to soaked bamboo skewers, discarding marinade.
6. Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on mediumlow. Cook the chicken, basting with the remaining teriyaki sauce, for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through and starting to caramelise. Serve with the green chilli and garlic paste and the Japanese salad.